Red, bumpy irritated skin after shaving...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by eobet, Mar 14, 2010.

1. eobet

eobet New Member

Hello all, I'm new here and I registered to see if I could get some tips.

First, some shaving history so you can get a perspective on my problem:

I first used a machine for about five years or so. This left my skin very dry, but no other side effects that I can remember. But I was a bit younger then as well.

I then switched to a Wilkinson Sword FX Diamond 2 blade system, which I probably have used for about ten years now. With it, I used Wilkinson Sword shaving foam, and a few years ago, I also added Decleor Aromessence Hommes and their Creme des Hommes. The Aromessence oil is my favorite product, simply amazing for the face.

About six months or so ago, I moved to London. I believe this is important because the water here is very different (compared to Sweden). It sometimes smells of fluoride and leaves an insane amount of limescale behind.

About three months or so ago, I started getting very red spots on my throat, like acne but from shaving (not sure how else to describe it). I switched shaving foam to Vichy, which is supposed to reduce irritation, but it didn't really help that much.

Last week, I bought a Merkur 34C and Merkur blades to go with it. Touch wood, I haven't managed to cut myself with it yet, in fact, I even find it to be incredibly smooth and fast, though a bit difficult to get an even shave, especially under the nose. I haven't bought the book on it, but I watched a youtube video. :)

And my red spots on my throat have now disappeared!

However, immediately after shaving and cleaning and applying oil (still with Vichy and Decleor), my skin gets all bumpy like a bloody gravel path all over the area I've shaved. After a few hours, the bumpiness settles, but gets replaced with very, very faint red dots wherever there was a bump. These also settle after a day or so (and so far, I've never shaved two days in a row out of fear for what would happen to my skin).

Overall, my skin is generally very, very thin and dry.

Oh, and I always take a very, very warm shower for quite some time before I shave... and two Decleor sales people suggested that I should apply the Aromessence oil before I shave, as well as after... which I haven't tried yet, so I guess that should be step one...

But still, any suggestions on how to avoid the bumpiness and redness?

Thanks!

2. 2dollaryo

2dollaryo New Member

I dont have the experience most of these other guys have but I have also had some razor burn issues and i find that "for myself" a quarter sized dab of glycerin in my cream before I lather and a splash of the witch hazel, I use the cheapo CVS brand (smells like $hit) after i'm done b4 i put on my smell good seems to go a long way. I also change my blades relatively early I'm guessing after 2 complete shaves (5 or 6 total passes). they're cheap and it means I can go through more crap until I find one thats just right...
    Hope that helps.
    Watch your to knot and keep your powder dry.
    and for gods sake stay off that pass line!

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

First off, Welcome to The Shave Den eobet! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the March Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

Well I must admit that I had never heard of the products you are using to shave with, but a quick search turned up that Vichy is a canned shaving foam. Is that correct?

I'm sure the number one advice most people on the board will give you is to get a brush, and switch to a good soap or cream, as the chemicals in the canned stuff can be pretty harsh. I would suggest some Mitchell's Wool Fat with lanolin, or Kent Brushes shave soap, which is just re-branded Wool Fat. The Fat as it is called is really great at moisturizing the skin, though it can take a little work to get the lather right.

I would also suggest trying out a different brand of blades. The Merkurs have a reputation for being kinda rough to shave with, and their harshness may be contributing to your problem.

4. eobet

eobet New Member

Thank you for your answers!

Since I still haven't completely learned how to get an even shave with the single blade, I think I will wait with the whole brush, soap and cream thing since that sounds even more advanced (and time consuming).

However, I was not aware that the Merkur blades were considered harsh. What blade would you recommend instead?

5. w3wizard

w3wizard New Member

While I can't say anything on blades other than Merkurs aren't for me, I do suggest using a brush and glycerin based cream or soap. I'm also fairly new to using a brush, but it works well, and the lanolin in my cream is nice. I'm actually thining of trying the Mitchells Wool Fat soap.

What kind of beard do you have? Dense? Also how do you shave (i.e. direction with respect to grain, and which passes, etc.)?

I'm sure somebody here will help you (someone who knows more than I do).

6. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Hi Eobet,
    Not sure if this is the soap Dridecker meant but here's a picture for you anyway. I'm sure witch hazel would help too. Ditch the can goo and your skin will thank you for it! Plus it feels really nice putting lather on with a decent badger brush. Check out the stickies to find out how to produce a rich decent lather. You may find a little pinch of baking soda in the hot water you soak you brush in will help produce a better more stable lather in hard water. Blades too, I use Gillette 7 o' clock when I DE shave. I think these blades are more suited to sensitive skin but its trial and error. A sample pack may help to find the right blade for you.
    Bump stopper might help as well. http://www.rootsandsculpture.co.uk/products.asp?cat=54&pg=2 It can be stopped.

Attached Files:

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

eobet,
    I don't want to sound like an ass, but these two things are pretty much the solution to your problem. The canned goo is probably the root of the problem, and the Merkur blades are notorious for slicing and dicing more than half of the users on this forum.

Regarding the soap and brush: The canned goo has many different chemicals in it that make the foam turn foamy once out of the can. It is great for making foam but not great for making your skin feel lovely. I like lovely feeling face skin. I use a brush and soap/cream. I am relatively new to this and it has completely captivated me. It has accomplished the captivation by COMPLETELY REMOVING THE TERRIBLE FEELING I used to get from shaving with a cartridge razor and canned goo. Shaving has gone from a chore that I tried to do only often enough to keep my wife from complaining to a joy that I look forward to at least once a day.

You came here seeking answers, you got them. Whether you try what is proposed is your decision but you cannot deny the answer to the solution and still find a place to put the blame except when you push the button on the canned goo's top and then notice the dude looking back at you in the mirror when you go to apply it.

Best of luck to you and welcome to The Den :D

8. Gambrinus

Gambrinus Member

I will second and thrid getting rid of the canned slime. I would stop using the safety razor before I gave up my brush and soap/cream. But I am still learning like you. And FWIW blades make a BIG difference. I'm using red pack Personna's at the moment.:happy088

9. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

I'm pretty new to it as well but can recommend a brush and some cream/soap.

As you are also in the UK pop along to Boots, Tesco or Asda and pick up a tick of Palmolive shave soap - its amazing stuff and costs a hefty £0.59!!

You might also want to get a sample pack of blades to try out as well. I've found that some are much better for me than others but its a personal thing - what works for you might not work for me;)

10. eobet

eobet New Member

Thank you for all your answers!

In the course of this, I also received the answers to a few questions I had which I didn't ask: Why are the 2, 3 and 4 blade systems so popular? The reason seems obvious now... you can put on foam and just shave away without having any skill in doing so at all, and be done in about 2 minutes (I know I used to be). Whereas now, there's a learning curve and there are more steps to the process, and since daily life just seems to get more and more hectic, faster solutions are favored. Is this progress, though? I guess that's why I'm here. :)

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 What can I say...You pretty much nailed it...Drideckers advice is also "Gospel"...
    Don't worry about the brush thing being an added complexity. It's very simple, and it feels very good...therefore a pleasure. Just the brush alone exfoliates your skin and just "Feels Good".
    Also faster is not necessarily favored, maybe slow down, just a tad...Prep your face...You already shower first, take the time to make a great lather, like Dridecker & co. are saying. It really doesn't take alot of time, and this also is immediate gratification...And the advice on trying different blades is good advise. Also be very aware of NO PRESSURE !!! And finding the correct razor angle (this is the learning curve part :)).
    All the advise these good people are sharing is good and the FACT that it will improve your quality of life, should make it a joy not a hassle. You have already done the biggest part, and seen positive results. The brush will be "immediate gratification" as well as using some quality soaps and creams. What can be better than spoiling yourself with these great products anyway...its all good...HAVE FUN...

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

This would be my suggestion too - get a blade sampler pack and try different brands. Merkurs are known for causing all kinds of problems for many people.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Klaus, I don't think I ever had a comfortable shave with a Merkur blade. They're too harsh for my skin. :( I agree with you 100%

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You have some great advice so far.
    Making good lather isn't that difficult or advanced. In fact, I used a brush and soap before using a DE razor. I love MWF/Kent soap though you have many choices that will be be a huge improvement. Some of our UK members should be able to give a good list, including a few drugstore varieties that are only a few pounds.

Living in the UK, you'll want to check out Connaught Shaving for that blade sample pack. I'm in the USA and have ordered from him due to his great deals on a couple shave soaps, including MWF.

After your shave, you may want to use something that kills the bacteria that take advantage of shaving irritation to create the bumps. Witch Hazel is commonly used as an aftershave and agrees with most skin types. I use an alum block, which is slightly more potent, but can dry skin a bit. I don't mind the drying as I have oily skin by nature. Others simply apply a balm or moisturizer after using alum.

15. eobet

eobet New Member

I still haven't bought a soap yet, but I was about to, until I found this:

w w w.timothyedwards. co. uk/Category/Shaving/Shaving-Soaps-&-Creams/Taylors-Sensitive-Skin-Shaving-Cream-150g/p-72-75-92-204[/url]

What do you guys think?

(Sorry about the url, but I haven't made enough posts apparently.)

16. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

17. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Irritation...

Make sure your blade is sharp. You may not get as many sharp shaves the more you use the same blade. You simply may have to replace it more often. Try palm stropping your blade; that may help. Also, rinse your face with cold water after you shave. Try an intensive care skin lotion as your aftershave. Also, as others have mentioned use no pressure or very little pressure as you shave. Experiment with angles as you shave, you have reached a good angle when you feel your blade the least as you shave, but it is still shaving and the hairs come off. Try just one/two passes WTG. Also, if you don't have to shave everyday, take a couple of days off to let your face regenerate. Hope some or all of this helps, and good luck!:)

18. Sometimes (sometimes), the essential oils in pre-shave oils do irritate the skin. Clove, Bergamot, and the like are quite concentrated in many pre-shave oils. Here's something to try, as it works absolute wonders for me, and leaves my skin surface very velvety, and calm (I used to suffer from the small red pimples before). Pure Coconut Oil as your pre-shave oil. Coconut oil is a solid at room tempurature, but nicely liquifies when warmed a bit. Splash hot water onto your face, then apply the coconut oil. Use very little (tips of your fingers), and massage it into your skin (wtg,xtg, and atg). Place a hot steam towel over your oiled face and neck for a few minutes. After, re-wet your face and apply shave cream as normal. Coconut oil is a natural 'fat', and will serve as a wonderful buffer between the razor blade and your skin.

If you have sensitive skin, then I would suggest using products with as little if no fragrance to them as possible, as many times it's the fragrance that causes the irritation.

Sure hope the advise helps.