Red IMP

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by bg42, Oct 18, 2007.

1. bg42

bg42 New Member

Not so long ago I picked up a red Imp straight razor made by Morris in Germany only ever hearing about this razor made by case ,that is what I thought I was biding on ,you guessed it Ebay,any way a couple of weeks went by and it arrived in the mail. On inspection the grind is pretty close to a wedge ,the razor itself was in very good condition so a quick clean up and hone and Bob`s you uncle , Fanny`s you aunt ,it has turned out to be one of my favorite razors and shaves exceptionally well. Then along comes another Red Imp up for auction this time is is manufactured by LUDO Razor & Shear works Germany which I had never heard of ,then the idea struck wouldn`t it be good to have the same razor made by three different companies, but this has proved more difficult than first anticipated.
    I bid on the Ludo and won ,two down one to go,while waiting for the ludo to arrive I thought now for the easy one the R .W .Case model so I found an auction bid and won the description read excellent condition shave ready perfect scales ,you will like this one when it arrived covered in rust with pitting so deep if it was removed there would be nothing left the scales were perfect except they had shrunk so they were too short for the blade so it couldn`t be closed and as far as shave ready ,I don`t think I could cut my big toe with it ,but I didn`t try.
    What the hell is going on,so I checked the listing the pics of the razor were good ,then it hit me in bold writing it stated this is a listing of a razor just sold the one you are getting is in the very last pic
    STILL NO LUDO
    The seller had been around for quite a while and I have purchased from him before with no problem , has excellent feedback
    So I emailed him to explain yes if had read the disclaimer about the pic I wouldn`t bid but also the description hadn`t been changed and I place a great deal of credence in the description because we all know that pics can be doctored
    Email came back saying that would I like a different razor ,I replied only if its a red IMP by case ,next email stated I have 400 razors for sale but no red imps ,It was purchased with Pay Pal so the item has been sent back for a full refund,which I`m still waiting on ,first and only time I`ve sent one back
    I don`t think it was a blatant attempt at fraud ,I think the person that did the listing for him was just lazy
    Still No LUDO
    I contacted the seller to see what was going on,he was selling a collection for someone and he apologized and said he thought I was one of the buyers that was multiple bidding and he was holding it for me till I finished ,he apologized again and posted it the next day ,10 day latter it arrived ( 5 weeks after the auction) not bad condition took it from the considerable packaging and dropped it cracking the scales at the pivot ,What a piss off If any one has a spare set of Red Imp scales they wish to sell ,I`m your man Now I`m waiting on the Case Red Imp I won lets hope that goes a little more smoothly
    Kind regards Peter
    PS next time I have an idea ,just tell me to pull my head in and remember the RED IMP, that little devil has been giving me some trouble of late