Red Rings Rock

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kjbarth, Sep 23, 2019.

1. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

I tried to search/find a thread dedicated to discussion of Eclipse Red Ring. Either I'm really bad at searching through this forum and wasted 20 minutes or there isn't one. So, if I'm allowed, I'd like to create one. @Mod, if this isn't in the right place or I'm not allowed to do this, please move to the appropriate place or remove completely. Thank you
    Ken.

RyX likes this.
  2. kjbarth

Hi, trying to find some info on history of Red Rings, in particular when they were made and a way to determine that on the razor or case. I’ve got 5 Red Rings, 2 with the dark brownish hinged case that says model BB inside the case, one with a dark red case that says model MM inside the case, one with a leather wrap, and one with no case or wrap. All of the razors have the magnet working, a couple have the sun/moon engraving on the cap, a couple don’t, a couple actually have the red ring. I’m a history buff and I like knowing the history of the razors I have but there doesn’t seem to be much documented on the Red Rings. At least, not that I have found so far. I am still looking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmshaver, RyX, Tjebbe and 3 others like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Wow, You are very fortunate to enjoy a red ring, let alone five. I'm hoping one day to find one. :)

Some info here.

dmshaver, kjbarth, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I see loads on ebay.

There are two atm.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  5. BlueShaver

I like history as well :)

How do they shave?

kjbarth, RyX and brit like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll add; that I don't need to pay the equivalent of a car payment to acquire. ;)

Though the one is fairly reasonable; my wife would be very distressed at me purchasing THAT costly of a razor. I can hear her saying "How many do you need?"

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    kjbarth, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i am starting to here that.. collecting over unless i sell some..;)

kjbarth, Enrico and RyX like this.
  8. kjbarth

They do pop up on the bay from time to time. Some are overpriced, some are WAY overpriced. I can confidently say I did not overpay for mine.
    I find them to be pretty good shavers, they are mild to mildly aggressive. For me, better with a little less facial hair growth, 2 - 3 days tops, would be a very good every day shaver.
    I hear both of you on this. My wife is enforcing a no buy Sept and Oct and for the foreseeable future. If I want to buy something, I need to sell and collect the funds first.

brit, Enrico and RyX like this.
  9. kjbarth

Thanks Keith for the link to the bruceonshaving website. Hopefully it's legal to include a comment someone posted on that site with some good details. If not, @Mod, please remove....

The Eclipse Red Rings were made by James Neill and Co. Sheffield, England from around 1932 to 1940.

Earlier ones, didn’t have the Eclipse Logo on the head.

Adverts refer to the adjustment as ‘Micrometer Adjustment Feature’

In the 1938 range there were five models offered:

The Model W in Leather Case – price 3 Shillings and 6 Pence – included 1 blade
    The Model MM in Bakelite case – price 2 shillings and 6 pence – included 1 blade
    The Model BB in Mahogany coloured bakelite flip top case – price 4 shillings and 6 pence – included 3 blades
    The Model HH in Ivory and Black bakelite flip top case – price 6 shillings and 6 pence – included 5 blades
    The Deluxe in chromium plated case – price 10 shillings and 6 pence – included 10 blades

All razors were identical

brit and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ken - Not only allowed, and I assume legal, I'd encourage you to gather information and history and post it here. Links to other websites, copy / paste data with credit to the source, your own photos, opinions, & observations are welcome.

TSD is about the discussion of all things Wet Shaving. This is a privately funded website with no corporate sponsors dictating or limiting content. There are Rules but they are in place to maintain a polite environment.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I saw that @jmudrick ;)
    I know you are an advocate for all things not Gillette, especially the TTO's. I appreciate your efforts to enlighten folks about all the other makers of DE razors. Are you an owner/operator of a Red Ring?

brit likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I had one briefly on loan. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful razors ever made. That said I wasn't so impressed with the shave that I wanted to pay market price for one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, RyX and Enrico like this.
  13. BlueShaver

:smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:

dmshaver, kjbarth, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Go on archive.org and check the chemist and druggist catalogs from 1932 to 1940. You should find some ads in them if you want to flip through each catalog one by one.

brit and kjbarth like this.