Red spots? Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by CameonBlade, May 25, 2017.

1. CameonBlade

CameonBlade New Member

Hey all, I'm a long time Mach Fusion shaver, ready to up my game. My facial hair isn't thick, but it's strong/tough.

The technique is much harder than I imagined! I like the ritual of it all, and I don't want to go back to cartridges, but I'm nicking myself a lot, leaving lots of red spots afterwards. See photos:

20170523_233937-1.jpg

20170523_233930-1.jpg

Am I doing too strong of an angle? I'm keeping the 30 degree angle in mind, but I definitely go past it when an area is tough. I really want a smooth shave... Are the spots a sign of being too aggressive?

I've shaved three times now, each time doing two passes. I always lather an area before shaving. I have NOT tried a pre-shave oil.

Here's what I'm working with:
    Merkur classic
    Persona blades
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
    Lather and wood aftershave

Any help will do! Much appreciated.

Cameron

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @CameonBlade! Here's a couple ideas for you to ponder.
    First there's a technique called Riding the Cap. (<- That's a link to a long thread, but it may help solve some of your issues.)
    Second is a support group that thrills in helping New Shavers conquer their old Cartridge Habits. Each month a new thread happens, but you can jump in any time and visit The 30 Day Rule/ Focus discussion. It's a bunch of New Shavers learning to use theirs Vintage razors, and Vintage Shavers learning New Razors. This month of May we've celebrated MAYhem so don't let the shenanigans throw you off. There's serious improvements being made in technique by a number of New Shavers.

whiteboy_cannon, CameonBlade and Fup like this.
  3. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I just started, have 7 wet shaves under my...chin? I get some red bumps like that usually on my chin. I'm pretty sure it's from too many passes/too aggressive as I have a little of a butt chin. If I were you I'd focus, really focus on applying zero pressure before changing stuff up. It's trickier than it sounds...I still do it.

As @RyX said, you can join us in the 30 Day Rule/Focus, post updates and get feedback for every shave.

And welcome to TSD!

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and CameonBlade like this.
  4. CameonBlade

CameonBlade New Member

No pressure, that's great. I've been using pressure. But how do you get a smooth shave without using pressure? I think I was going harder to clear more hair.

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and Fup like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's what cart shaving trained you to do - press the flip floppy triple bladed bumpers and glide strips against you skin. Using a DE safety razor is a different skill set. The razor is just a holder for the blade. The user has to adjust the angle. That's what Riding The Cap is about. It's also more exposed blade requires less pressure to get the beard reduction done. Imagine only wiping the lather away - that's about all the pressure needed.

6. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Definitely read that Ride the Cap and practice that angle. Then when you shave just find that good angle and let the weight of the razor do the work. It's easiest when you're shaving down and with the grain as you can just let gravity do it for you. Then work on transitioning that same zero pressure to shaving across the grain.

Are you aware that ideally you want to shave with the grain WTG, then across the grain XTG, and then against the grain ATG. Each one a pass with a fresh lather between. I only do 2 passes now, WTG and XTG. Someday I might work in ATG.

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

These gentlemen have given good pointers. I had a similar situation, so I will attempt to give you a step by step process. You may not have to change all of these from what you are already doing, but go through the list and try to correct mistakes one by one. It is thorough...be forewarned.

-Wash your face properly with facial soap and pat dry with a clean towel
    -use a new razor blade
    - keep your face and blade wet
    -make sure there are no irritants in your soap
    -watch lather videos and whip up your soap properly
    -ride the cap with no pressure. Just do one pass and clean up. Check to see if there are any red spots. Move to 2 passes the next day, and 3 next, etc.
    - wipe your face clean with a dry towel
    -apply a good Aftershave. If you have one for sensitive skin...that would be best

These steps should take care of ANY possible issues.
    As a side note, Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street is one of the best lines for sensitive skin, and I think it's one of the best scents in all of wet shaving. If you are able to get ahold of the soap and Aftershave, I would highly recommend it.

8. CameonBlade

CameonBlade New Member

Great feedback everyone. I just read about Riding the Cap. If I understand it right, you're not using the safety bar but more balancing on the blade as you pass. Can't wait to try.

Yes, I know about WTF and XTG. I'll avoid ATG for now!

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and Fup like this.
  9. CameonBlade

CameonBlade New Member

Thorough is preferred. I'll start with just one pass then move up.

Also, I appreciate the quick responses from everyone! It's nice to see an active community.

whiteboy_cannon and Fup like this.
  10. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say balancing the blade, more using the top of the razor to set your angle, so keeping the cap touching your skin as you slide the blade across the hair.

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and CameonBlade like this.
  11. CameonBlade

CameonBlade New Member

Got it. But the safety bar/comb doesn't need to make contact.

12. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Correct!

CameonBlade likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All i am add is to remember its about reduction not getting it all in one pass!

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Until you know what a dull DE blade feels like, it's a good idea to not push it. Depending on your beard type don't go more that a couple shaves, maybe three max. Blades are cheaper than carts.

:eatdrink047:There's no shame in using your cart razor to do clean up as you develop DE technique. Personally I use my DE to clean up when I use a shavette razor. Gives me a chance to use two razors for one shave!

If you chance to visit The 30 Day Crew, disregard the Stunt Shaving going on there. Many of those guys are Veteran Straight Razor shavers & they are trying to out do each other with the weirdness. I haven't seen one pop up lately, but several members removed the safety bar/guard from a particular brand of DE razor. It's not as dangerous as it sounds because they ALL know Ride The Cap.

whiteboy_cannon, wristwatchb and Fup like this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Here is my Taylor of Old Bond Jermyn Street setup (shave soap, aftershave, cologne)

IMG_20170425_011408.jpg

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Who you calling weird?

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Didn't say anyone was weird, but some of the shaving equipment is. None of us switched to wet shaving to be *normal*!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

whiteboy_cannon and wristwatchb like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

It's definitely too much pressure try holding the razor like a dart near the tip there's enough weight on that Murkur to let it do the work. Let the weight of the razor be all the pressure you use.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and wchnu like this.