Red tip, blue tip. one tip, two tip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by smokelaw1, Aug 28, 2008.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Well, really they all have one tip (sorry bout that, I've been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss to the 4 month old).

I'm looking at the vintage razors on the bay, and I am getting shown my ignorance. What is the difference between the red, blue, black tipped SS's? Is there a year that delineates non-adjustable from adjustable SS's? I want to stay away from adjustables until I get my technique down, so I am of course looking pretty closely at them, but must admit, I could very VERY easily miss some clue that I don't even know to look for.
    Then...I have to win these auctions...or just buy-it-now.

Any info (or, point me to the info page on the SS's...one must exist...right?

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Red tips are more aggressive than black and black is more aggressive than blue and blue is more aggressive than tan. ;)

3. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

Fantastic. Thank you.

And are those all non-adjustable? Oh, and which would be the ROUGH equal in terms of aggressiveness to the Merkur Classic/HD?

I'm beginning to think that until I have shaken some of this newbness off, I should stick to buying new razors.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

New razors old razors they are all that same under the skin. One is just 100 years older than the other.

All are nonadjsutable and I have not used a merkur so I would err on the red side.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Okay, you want the real answer? :happy097

The Red Tips and Blue Tips were variations of the 50's style SS. The Blue Tip is less aggressive than the regular 50's style. The Red Tip is more aggressive than the regular.

The Black Tip is a variation of the 40's style. It is no different from the regular 40's style other than tip color.

The Tan Tip is used primarily by fairies and gnomes. Ain't no such thing. ;)

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I got mine from that Pot of gold I found the other day. Don't knock gnomes and fairies.

"Fairies wear boots I seen it myself" Ozzy.

Thanks though for the info on the colors. I thought they all came out at the same time and that Gillette did that as a marketing thing. Good to know.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

How do the 40's SS compare the the regular 50's? If they are the same, then this is the same as what Wedge said, except for the tan, which are so rare it doesn't matter. :)

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

To me the 40's styles are a bit more mild than the 50's, but there really isn't enough of a difference to matter. It is more look and feel when comparing the two.

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

if im not mistaken the red tip is also heavier.

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yep, I've come to that conclusion also. Some otherwise sensible people still believe in the tan tip though.

The Red Tip is heavier than the others and the Blue Tip has a lightweight aluminum handle. They were sold with differing blade exposures, blue being the light model, sliver was regular and the red was marketed as the heavy version.

The black tips were most likely a cost saving venture done in 1951 and 1952 on the older style SS's and had two different handles, an aluminum and one done in steel.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i had a black tip at one time, a 1952 model i think (i never used it though). im assuming the handle was aluminum. thing was light as air.

13. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Yes, the red tip has added weight, a larger diameter handle and very manly knurling for a good grip on the handle. It’s supposed to be more aggressive, but I don’t feel any difference between it and the regular SS. They say it has more blade exposure and a different head angle than the regular SS; I dunno about that. I’ve often wondered if it’s just the added weight that makes it appear more aggressive.

14. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

As a straight user can I ask "what the hell are you talking about:D) and do you have any photo's I've heard of Q-Tips :happy102

15. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Okay. Here's some pictures of some I have from Super Speed ID "article" I wrote on another site.

There was a variation of the 40's style known as the Black Tip. It came in the aluminum handle (bottom) and the standard handle (top). The TTO knob on the Black Tip was the only plastic example in the Super Speeds.
    [​IMG]

The 50's style also comes in a more aggressive model called the Red Tip. This one is a favorite among many wanting that aggressive shave.
    [​IMG]

And a more mild version called the Blue Tip which had an aluminum handle and was a favorite of the ladies of the day before the Lady Gillette of 25 years later.
    [​IMG]

16. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Thanks Guido it makes sence now

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Try putting a magnet to the top Black Tip.