Red Tip Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoobShaver, Jan 16, 2009.

1. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My red tip gillette is more aggressive on one side. It's pretty dramatic- one side feels like a cheese grater and the other side is close and smooth. I'm guessing this isn't normal.

I've eyeballed how the blade sits when the silo doors are open and it seems to be even. There's no wiggle or anything. Blade exposure looks even when they're closed. But I can definitely feel a difference.

Any thoughts as to the cause? I'm debating whether to look for another red tip or just get used to the one I've got.

2. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

I have a 55 Red Tip which shaves "perfect" on both sides. Looks like yours may have been damaged somehow. Had the same problem with a Slim adjustable. Unless someone else has a better solution, IMVHO find another. It's a fine razor.!

3. tom myers

tom myers Member

Certainly the razor should shave the same on both sides and a red tip should not be expected to be harsh. It is my favorite DE.

With the doors closed, look at the razor from one end of the head . . . does the safety bar look like it is exactly the same distance from the lower door mechanism on both sides?

Check from the other end the same way. Then look at it from one end and then the other . . . does it look the same from both ends?

If anything looks different from one side to the other, you will want to try to adjust it to be like the side that shaves well. The other side was probably bent when the razor was dropped or stepped on.

If you have a bent safety bar, it can usually be coaxed back into alignment by resting it against something solid like a block of wood held in a vise, and then gently tapping on the top or bottom of the razor, depending upon which way you are trying to bend the bar. If you need to tap on the top of the razor to bend the bar up, tap on the center bar, not on the doors. Gentle repeated taps with a small plastic headed hammer, wooden mallet, or some other tool that has a relatively soft head is the best bet. If you have no such tool, another piece of wood will likely do the job. Just tap it a little at a time until you get everything looking the same on both sides.

A good red tip is worth a little patient repairing. If it is beyond repair, I'd advise you to get another one like it. They are very good razors and, if not dropped or abused should last a couple of lifetimes.

Regards,
    Tom

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

You can use a feeler gauge, found in automotive stores to check the exact gap on each side, and bump the bad side to match the good side. If you don't have one, you can actually use sheets of paper stacked to see how much space there is, it just isn't as accurate. Do this with the blade in to get an accurate measurement.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I have tried to explain this technique dozens of times, Tom, but that is the most eloquent, easily understood explanation to date.

:happy096

6. tom myers

tom myers Member

Thanks Guido, I appreciate that. Some folks suggest using a needle nose plier, but I like the light impact method better. I believe it gives better control.

Regards,
    Tom

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Tom and Guido are spot on. Something is bent or not straight and I'm guessing its the safety bar. Good luck fixing it!

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Heh. I'm thinking of trying to trade it to someone who has the technical ability and time to repair it. I have two kids under 3 (one of whom is crawling all over me as I type) and I just don't have the time. And I don't have the tools or ability either.