refinish aluminum handled razor question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old_Spice, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Hello,
    I'm doing some research for a friend who was wanting to replate a later 1960's model Gillette Super Speed. This has a black handle, nickel head , TTO perhaps a 1967 issue? Upon calling a company that has done excellent work on a number of razors, he was told this particular make has an aluminum handle and cannot be electroplated. He wanted it done in rose gold and keeping the handle black. I recall seeing some "fatboys" on a site redone in a variety of colours ie; green purple etc. looking more like a brushed aluminum finish. My question is does anyone know who might do this and what is the process ?

Thanks

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. It's call cerakoat. Goes by several other trade names as well. It's a ceramic based paint, that gets baked on. Very popular with the gun crowd as it's a very durable finish, and as you said, comes in a variety of colors.

Many gun shops offer cerakote services.

He razor will need to be disassembled. You will need to find someone to do it or do it yourself. Captain Murphy is one such individual. You can probably find his contact info out there.

The shop you remember that did this closed down. There may be other shops by now.

Edit: So, if you do do this, you can send the handle out to be cerakoted or hard anodized. And send the rest off to a razor replater to get rose gold plated. A pricy undertaking for a not so valuable razor, imo. Unless the razor has some sentimental value, he's best off finding a 60's all brass super speed and getting that redone.

DrStrange, Old_Spice and brit like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is the only one I know of since Delta Echo isn't around any more, North Shore Razors.............
    https://www.northshorerazors.com/

Old_Spice and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Thank you for the info & I will pass it on. That makes perfect since

5. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

Is this the same as powder-coating?

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No. Not exactly.

Gunkote/cerakote goes on thin (.0005", 1/2 of a thousandth of an inch). Powder coat goes on thick, .015-.025". If you use powdercoat this will create dimensional issues, and completely change the way the razor shaves.

Gunkote is fused with the surface. Powder coat is not. Gunkote is designed to be slick. Powder coat is not.

You may remember when DLC (diamond like carbon) were a thing on razors. Cerakote is more abrasion resistant than DLC and cheaper to apply, but it's slightly less slick.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Old_Spice, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.