Remove knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by LifesShort, Oct 5, 2013.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I was at a yard sale today and was given a brush when I purchased an Old Spice shaving mug. It is in horrible condition, but I thought I would refinish the handle and replace the knot with a new boar knot from TGN. I've never tried to do this before. Could someone offer guidance on how I go about removing the old knot without destroying the handle?

Thanks!

2. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I've been wondering the exact same thing.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If you have a vise, try clamping the knot close to the handle in it. You may get lucky and it'll just fall out when you squeeze on it hard and pull the handle. If not, you can drill into the knot with a fairly big drill bit and then clean up what's left with a dremel sanding drum. I'm sure there are a few ways to skin the cat though.

LifesShort likes this.
  4. LifesShort

I don't have a vise, but I can certainly do the drill and Dremel technique. Thanks!

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Be "VERY" careful!! Trying to get the knot out with a drill and nothing to hold it secure while you drill,sounds like trouble I.M.O....I would suggest you wait for one of our brush guru's to post or search for some brush removal posts here at TSD...:)

LifesShort likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Before you start to drill, trim the bristles down as close as possible. BTW, I have done this without a vise, but if you do, it is REALLY important to wear work gloves. And no matter how you do this, if drilling & sanding are involved, wear eye protection & a dust mask.

178-bplatoon and LifesShort like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Lots of great info here ---> *click* I've got this one under my WATCHED THREADS so it's easy to find for just such an occasion!
    Scroll down through and members have even more links to help you out.

LifesShort likes this.
  8. LifesShort

Lot's of great advice. Thanks for the link, Swarden. It looks like I have some reading to do.

swarden43 likes this.
  9. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I have found that steam works very well. I use a pot with a lid put about 1" or so of water in the pot put your brush in a coffee cup set it in the pot cover and boil for 15 to 30 min. The knot should pull out with little to no effort.

LifesShort likes this.
  10. LifesShort

I'll give this a try. It sounds like the simplest way to do it that I've heard of, so far. Thanks!

11. swarden43

Just so you know, I had a maroon Ever Ready that I successfully steamed the knot out easy enough, but the steam turned parts of the handle a mottled white that would not buff out.

LifesShort likes this.
  12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

LifesShort likes this.
  13. LifesShort

Thanks for all of the great advice. I got it apart with steam, but have decided not to re-knot it. The red collar is plastic and is just not worth restoring. I think I'll look for one that is worth restoring.

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Most are plastic, often the value in the handle is the age or history of a vintage handle that makes it somewhat unique. The handle in your pic is one not commonly seen.

15. swarden43

Finally got some time to link to this ---> *click* to show what I was talking about.

LifesShort likes this.
  16. LifesShort

Thanks for the link. I'm passing this brush on to another TSD member, but I'll keep it in mind for my next one.

offroad64 likes this.