Removing initial stink?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JDro, Dec 30, 2015.

1. JDro

JDro Member

i hope this is in the right place and I did see the awesome thread started by Neolithium. I was wondering though about using vinegar and also if it applies to a brand spankin new brush type stink? Lol

As tempted as I'll be to use this brush right out of the box the instant I can, I'm wondering if exercising a bit of patience may pay off wonders for my nose and interest considering it'll be my first shave with a brush ever...

Read a ton on soaking it and see the same 3-4 things recommended with various iterations.

I'm thinking warm water and white vinegar soak before I use it. Can I soak it for 10-15 mins to try to get some of the stink out or is that first soak needing to be an overnight type one?

Also how many parts vinegar to water? I've seen 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 and 5-1 in terms of water to vinegar. I was thinking standard coffee mug doing like 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and filling with warm water.

Thoughts? Thank you!!!!

chrisbd, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I would use shaving soap or cream, test lather. Or I'd use shampoo.

3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I guess I'd rather have a couple of shaves with a little whiff of animal smell than several with vinegar. I've only broken in a few brushes and the way I got rid of the smell - I wouldn't call it stink - was to use them to make lather and rinse them out.

4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I don't have to deal with that problem because I use a Gen4 synthetic brush and here is why - the long version. Many years ago I was driving home after the swing shift and I hit a fox. Since fox pelts are worth money I stopped and picked up the deceased took him home and put him in the freezer. Why? To prevent him from smelling like your badger. Stay with me now. My devious plan was to remove the fox from the freezer first thing in the morning before my wife got up and take it in to town and sell it. I'd have an extra 40 bucks in my pocket and no one would be wiser. You know what happens next? Nope. The wife didn't get up before me in the morning she got up in the middle of the night for a snack. I believe her exact words were "get that dead smelly thing out of my house". I did. Forward to current day when I announced to the wife I was taking up W.S.. but then later learned that badger brushes stink, well not going there. So that's why I use a synthetic brush, and like it!

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Test lather, test lather, test lather. Besides, while the smell is a bit off putting, it isn't so bad that you can't just use it. But test lather with it. Also, like RazorBurn 123 said, shampoo it.

Best of luck dude, and let us know how it turns out and what you do about it.

benzology, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've had reasonable luck with hair shampoo, and the test lather method mentioned above. Just lather on your hand and then rinse the brush out.

Best results? Oxyclean powder and a bit of water. Thirty minute soak and done.

7. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I just lather a soap with a really strong scent ... Stirling Ozark Mountain for example. I let the lather stay in the brush for 5 or 10 minutes and then rinse. The first really bad stink is gone, rest will vanish with use.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

OxyClean is amazing. It's a household necessity like WD-40 and duct tape.

9. JDro

JDro Member

Thanks everyone!!!! I guess I'll prob just use it then and see how bad it is and if it's THAT awful I'll try the oxyclean method :)

chrisbd, battle.munky and Kizurra like this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

First of all, plain water soak first to full bristle capacity -- 10 minutes should do it. Then whatever voodoo you subscribe to would follow with the already soaked brush. For me, vinegar would be worse than the original smell. I've used both dishwashing soap and shampoo. I think repeated lathering might be the best because it would break in the bristles at the same time. I haven't tried that though. May do so this next time.

Joef, chrisbd, battle.munky and 2 others like this.
  11. BigCabDaddy

You are weird but hilarious.

RyX and Kizurra like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So, let me get this straight. You hit a fox, scraped it off the road and then brought it into your kitchen and stuck it in your refrigerator?

My wife would have thrown me out on the spot!

:p

battle.munky, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Mine would've shot me dead with the stinkeye laser.

Spyder, Jim99, battle.munky and 2 others like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

there are great stickies in each of the subforums. they are stuck to the top of each category because they are filled with pertinent info from experienced guys. they answer most questions easily.

15. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Put a frudge in the shed, just one more way to keep the man cave to yourself:D. 40.00 for a pelt is a puck of soap with matching aftershave taxed and shipped so I have to ask,,, when you rolled over him did you hear bump bump or ching ching?

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I got rid of the boar stink right along with the same way I broke in all my new boars - I just used 'em the way they were designed to be used.

17. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

As to the brush, My process is,presoak,shampoo with tee tree shampoo. Rinse, shake out then soak in dawn for 24. Then begin using as normal. Will rid most if not all scent without any harshness or alternate scents that might offend and seams to soften the tips much faster as a bonus.

battle.munky and BigCabDaddy like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

It's wasn't as gruesome as that. I just hit him with no flatting action. Actually he looked peaceful like he was just sleeping - sorta. Here are the facts: It was a different time. It was 1979 and I needed the money. Neither me or the adolescent fox were very smart. I survived my mistake he did not. He ran out into my path and I - well see above. It was a low speed but fatal impact and he just ended up in the ditch. I put him in a plastic bag before inserting him in the freezer. I do have standards (there night have been a state law). It seemed like a good idea at that time. My wife has not mentioned this since I got the new refrigerator. You can't make this crap up.

Kizurra, Jim99, battle.munky and 2 others like this.
  19. BigCabDaddy

Point taken but how this becomes the friendly place it is is through chatting up and helping the noobs. It would be a shame if this place became as constricted and/or snobbish as some others are. Anyway, I think a lot of noobs post questions as a way of saying, "Hi, I'm here." I'm sure I did just a few scant weeks ago.

RyX, waddowedonowmo, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  20. BigCabDaddy

She made you get a new refrigerator on the spot? I'm sure some would. Mine would probably have revoked my driving privileges. In 1979 my wife had not yet realized I was beyond hope. Now she subscribes to a, "Feed the birds in summer, you must feed them in winter." philosophy. By the way, are you still married to the same wonderful woman?

Kizurra, Jim99 and battle.munky like this.