Renaissance Wax

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by IsaacRN, Jul 22, 2008.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I just picked up a little tin of this stuff. It smells like it will be a workhorse. I already applied it to some C Utz scales and will be applying it to the Livi scales today.

Anyone else use it and have any tips?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I've never used it, but it's supposed to be good stuff.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Let us know how it does so we can have a run on it. :D

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I've used a cheaper version called "Conservator's Wax" from Canada. It's about the same, Microcrystalline Cleaner/Polish stuff that Renaissance Wax is, and it's GREAT! It gives you a less glossy sheen and seems like great waterproofing. Peter (bg42) told me about Renaissance Wax. Good stuff! Check Lee Valley Tools for the Conservator's Wax, www.leevalleytools.com.

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

now can this..or will it be able to go on horn scales as well...or just wood

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

According to this, it "may be used on wood, metal, ceramics, ivory, marble, polished stones, leather, plastics, gilding, cast resins, photographs, and like materials offering excellent moisture resistance and protection against heat and finger marks. Its application on exterior surfaces enhances weather resistance. CONSERVATOR’S WAX gently removes grime and built-up wax. Apply with a soft cotton cloth and polish when dry."

So I don't see why horn would be a problem. This Conservator's Wax is a natural product made from fossil material (as is Renaissance Wax), and can even be used on photos and paper.

8. bg42

bg42 New Member

When I`m not using CA ,I use Renaissance wax 4-5 coats dose it , thin coat let dry for about 20 min then buff off
    Kind regards Peter

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

i put 2 coats on my Livi and C Utz scales..but only let it dry for about 3 min. The package said it dried instantly. Ill have to give them one more go

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

I am thinking I may need to pull the trigger on this one. How do you like it so far Isaac?

Thanks

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

This looks really good too, Thanks Blair! :D

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Pretty nice. I did as peter suggested and let it dry for 20 minutes..it gets pretty firm..then it takes some work to buff it off...but the wood looks good afterwards

13. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I use it and like it a lot. I put it on in very thin coats.

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

there you go. You got me to purchase a tub, too :D

15. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

It IS the STUFF.:D

16. rwb

rwb Member

how does it last before you have to rewax .

17. Aquanin

Aquanin New Member

Not sure how long it lasts, I have never had to reapply it. It is invisible once applied. I usually put it on after using a Tung oil finish.

18. bg42

bg42 New Member

I have had a small tin and am halfway through ,but I`ve had it for years ,so a little goes a long way
    Kind regards Peter

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have used it on a few razors so far applying multiple coats, it really seems to bring out the luster :) I am not sure about it's durability it did make the water bead off my razors scales...

I assume it will need to be reapplied more frequently when the object is in contact with hot water.....perhaps even being wiped / dryed with a towel may remove some of the wax....I guess it depends on how porus the material is.....

I am really liking it so far :)