Repairing a Cracked-barrel Coles Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob72, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Rob72

Rob72 Member

I was a little unhappy when I received this- just another caveat emptor, watch the pics more than the words issue. in any event, it led to a touch of creativity (at least I think so).
    The problem:

I tried pressing, heat stress relieving, then silver soldering. Worked fine, initially. Since the Coles neck is Zamak, however, it can't be turned, without opening it for aggressive oxidation, down the road. That left the choice of 1) reaming the barrel, for a looser epoxy-set press fit, or 2) trying to press the neck, as-is, and hope for the best. Looking at the barrel, reaming would have left too little material at the mouth of the barrel- drop it on the counter, and it snaps, sooooo, I tried a straight press. Oh, well.
    [​IMG]

2. Rob72

Rob72 Member

After some searching, I found a carbon fiber manufacturer that sells stray ends in packages, on ebay, various sizes. Happily, one set was exactly OEM with the Coles barrel. $12 later, I have about 9 times the CF tubing I need.[​IMG] Measured, zipped the end off with a diamond Dremel wheel (be sure to wear an N95 mask & goggles if you play with CF- its much worse than asbestos on the lungs), and checked my fit.

I wanted to keep the maker's mark/vintage tone with my razor, in spite of the Zamak, so I used a tubing cutter to take off the "Coles-Germany" stamped band at the base. Filed it flush, used 5 minute epoxy, and pressed the flush ends together. CF is more flexible, and "slicker" than brass, so I could actually press the neck in by hand. Again, CF is flexible, but retains its shape with considerable force. The head could be removed again, but not at all easily. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Its been 24 hours for the epoxy, so I may give it a run tonight![​IMG]

One other note, this CF is a spun band, like an Ace bandage wrap, and has a high-gloss finish, and a perceptible barber-pole seam. If you wanted, you could smooth this, running fron 200 down to 1500 grit wet/dry paper. It gives a finish like mica, or smokey quartz. I left the seam for a touch of traction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rob72

Rob72 Member

FYI- the ID on the CF tubing is 0.375", OD is 0.447". If anyone has a New lying in pieces, I'm thinking some polished brass would go well with this- I'm searching. You might be able to sleeve a Tech, I don't have one, so I couldn't say.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well done Rob. It looks great!

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You are the master fixer.

6. Rob72

Rob72 Member

I'm not bold enough to claim that title, but I will take, "Fast Learner"!:bounce015:

I did use it last night. Interestingly, the CF has a slightly grippy feel with wet hands. With fresh lather on my fingertips, it was pretty slick, but dunking razor and fingers in the water took care of that immediately.

alpla444 likes this.
  7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Beautiful work!

8. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Pretty cool, dude

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It is a tad cooler than I was expecting Rob. Damn cool fix. How is the balance? The handle HAD to get a lot lighter, but with the heavy knob it may not matter at all.

10. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Subjectively, I'd say it lost about 1/2 its weight(of the barrel), but, yeah, that monster knob & threaded inner barrel keeps a chunk in there. Actually, I like it, it shifted a touch more toards the base.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Rob excellent work and now you have a one-off custom Coles!

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ahhh, I forgot about the inner shaft. Weight loss has to almost indiscernible then I suppose.

Either way Rob, damn sweet resto.