Repairing Cloth Hinges.........

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Aug 2, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Some of you might remember how I completely restored an older Gem case with the cloth cover. And if you haven't: Complete Gem Case Restoration (pic heavy). But many of us most likely have a case or two in which the cloth hinge isn't any good. I just repaired one on a Gem case and figured I'd show how really easy it is. First pic showing the damaged are..........
    1.jpg

To start off, tape the case completely shut, low tack tape recommended. Next, cut a piece of thin cloth the needed size, color doesn't matter, and set it aside. Then apply some white craft glue and spread it evenly with your finger where the new material will be..........
    2.jpg

I was in a hurry and didn't notice I cut mine slightly short, but it works. Apply the cloth and firmly press it onto the glue and wipe off any excess around the edges. Then set it aside for a while until completely dry, about 45 minutes..........
    3.jpg

Now you will need to brush on some acrylic black paint, Apple Barrel Matte paint in my case. Also, flat paints dry a lot quicker, in most cases. Keep applying a few coats, each coat dried thoroughly, until the material is pretty much filled in and smoother. I usually buff the area along my jeans to smooth it more. Then a couple of clear coats to protect it, and more buffing. And this last pic showing what you can do in less than two hours, especially if the case is otherwise in good shape. And let it sit a little before opening it, not much time really. It will be more authentic looking than adding brass hinges, which is another option, but also works............
    4.jpg

Screwtape, preidy, Sara-s and 6 others like this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Neat idea. Along that line a similar idea. I used a piece (1.5 inch) of black book binding tape. I had similar results.

jimjo1031 likes this.