Repurpose products & ideas for shaving needs.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ron R, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I was thinking there is a lot of things that are tossed and could be used for shaving needs. I got idea for protecting my shaving brush while travelling a few years ago and did not want to ruin my shave brush knot so I asked the pharmacy for a large pill bottle where we receive our prescriptions. The pill bottle is alright if you use a elastic or tape to make sure the cap does not come off and drilled a few 1/4 inch holes in the top cap.
    Just recently I came across another idea for travel brush container that gives good protection and has a cap that screw on and ventilates. Make sure you air dry a damp brush & take out the brush of the protective container as soon as you get home or when travelling day to day in hotels to prevent mold & mildew forming inside the knot. (Synthetic knot brushes are the quickest drying for travelling)
    I cut off the flip cap that seals previous products, all I did to get rid of product label is just use hot tap water to fill up bottle (try not to get outside label wet) only to loosen glue and it becomes easy to peel off.
    Repurpose things or ideas for shaving needs..jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Frijolero, Enrico, Ksblazer and 11 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Clever! :happy088::happy088:

Ron R likes this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Great idea....thanks.

Ron R likes this.
  4. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea.
    I’ve used metal cigar tubes to store small straight razors in while traveling. They work pretty good. I’ll post a picture of it later.

5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I use the red plastic tops from frosting containers as covers for Old Spice soap mugs.

Frijolero, Enrico, jimjo1031 and 6 others like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I cut & bent segments of wire hangers to make parts of a brush & razor stand.

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I bought these Pelican style razor cases so I could protect my better razors when travelling or for valuables. A lot of my used vintage razors did not come with cases and thought this might be a nice alternative. Some fellows wheel and deal and sell off their expensive razors so these cases should survive the mail system.
    Pelican style razor case 4.jpg
    Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Frijolero, Enrico, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

1CC0BA92-CD2E-460C-A92F-6D74428CA4AA.jpeg
    DE578D34-3F51-41F0-9090-7566731FEC76.jpeg

Stamp stands as brush stands

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    brit, Frijolero, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That stand looks like its in good shape, I was looking years ago for one and the chrome clamps on a lot of them where rusted. I ordered some interesting clamps to hold my brushes and will have to show them when they arrive. They will have to be altered a little.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

I just bought this from a woman in florida . $17 shipped. The thing looks new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Can never go wrong with Altoids containers. The large size make good 4-piece and 3-piece razor cases, especially after adding some soft lining. I particularly like the small size Altoids containers. Great DE and half-blade storage options, especially for travel. It holds 25 blades comfortably:
    IMG_20210612_155000~2b.jpg IMG_20210612_154932~2a.jpg

Frijolero and Sara-s like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The Altoids Arctic containers make good blade disposal containers.

Frijolero, PanChango and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Oh definitely! I had forgot about those.

PanChango likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I use a chicken stock can that I opened with a whack from my chef knife so it has a slot in the top. I am on my second one since I started here.

Not the prettiest, but it work and holds 300-400 blades.

Frijolero and IAmTheJody like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@battle.munky needs one of these.

:eatdrink047:

battle.munky likes this.
  16. Jorvaljr

IMG_7991.jpg
    9FFE5867-494C-48BD-A1DF-2A96A062E81B.jpeg
    I have an old spice tin that had whole cinnamon that i converted to a blade dispenser. I spray painted the bottom portion flat black. The lid lifts up and the blades fit as if it was meant for it.

P.S. A black pepper shaker also works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    brit, Frijolero, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I was thinking of how to hang up my brushes safely and dry them at the same time and so the hunt for different brush hangers was on.
    I like these these Guitar wall hangers and bought 8 to try out, I was going to shortened the arm length on all of them but decided to keep 4 shortened by 1 1/8 inches and 4 longer ones that can easily hold 2 brushes as unaltered. The brushes are kept along a the mirror cabinet on top of a cloths bureau & was ideal for this wasted space. Talked the wife into it first and then waited a long time for them to be shipped. There are other stores online that supply these same ones and shipping is more efficient. So had to show how it looks and maybe some others will have ideas for this sort of thing.
    The brushes are easy assessable just around the bathroom door with in arms reach.
    The nice thing about these brush (guitar)hangers they are adjustable to fit any brush and even 2 synthetic brushes in one holder of similar brush handle dimensions.
    Brush rack 4.jpg

Have some great shaves!

18. brit

brit in a box

very cool Ron..:cool:

Ron R likes this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Brush & razor holder, Got looking at the picture and figured these could also hold razors and protect them very well also because they are adjustable.
    Brush rack 7.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.