Rescale

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by joamo, Nov 11, 2017.

1. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Yesterday I grabbed a random razor from my to do pile. It was a 4/8, makers mark unknown to me (if anyone recognizes it, please let me know) with some small chips toward the nose. As I'm honing, I'm impressed with how slender and dainty the blade is compared to other 4/8's I've honed.
    After working out the chips it honed up quite nicely and took a great edge. Upon closing the blade I realized why there were chips, it was closing onto the wedge. I decided to put it at the top of my rescale list and started the work this morning.
    Sorry, no before or in process pics, I didn't even think of that. Here are the results and I'll explain the materials after the pic.
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, the blade felt dainty and I wanted the scales to match. A green, transparent popcorn bucket from the dollar store came to hand and a yellow top from an herbal OTC pill bottle was sacrificed for the wedge.
    The thinnest scales I've ever made, the material miked in at .05 inch, and everything worked out sweet on it.
    Thanks for letting me share, I was really tickled with how well the found materials worked out.

RezDog, AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and 7 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Oooo... I like the green.

Kokak and Zykris like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very cool! I’ve never considered recycling plastic for scales, but I will now. It looks great!

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice job with the rescale.
    Nice stone. Can you talk about it??

5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

The little duck figurine looks frightened where it should be in awe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and Kokak like this.
  6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Really nice work.

7. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

What stone?

Oh, that one! It's another project rock, chert I believe. I'd been fascinated by chert since my first visit to Grand Falls near Joplin, Mo. I don't know if the rock this was cut from came from that area or not, it was part of the landscaping at the house my son in law rents :angelic007:

I'd read somewhere that chert could be used as a hone, so when a suitable piece was spotted I had to give it a try. The rock was all that my Harbor Freight 10 inch tile saw could handle, this piece is 3 1/4 x 6 1/2 at the longest point and it took over 2 hours to cut this slab off. It lapped easier than the quartzite and soon it was flat and worked up through 1k grit paper.It has a very fractured looking surface, but the razor doesn't seem to notice those, which I suppose is fair since the stone doesn't seem to notice the steel either. It doesn't cut or polish as far as I can tell.

I may lap it at 400 and see if that gives it any tooth, but for now it's an interesting prop for razor pics.

It's fun to find and cut stones, but it can be hit or miss if they'll end up being hones.

AGHisBBS, Jim99 and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks, it does look interesting. Keep us informed on your experiments with stones for hones.

9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

You have done a really nice re-scale on that razor. Brilliant solution!