Restoration error realized

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by JPJ, Sep 10, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I was honing a razor this evening that I had restored ... And realized that when I was buffing with greaseless compound I must have concentrated on one area too long trying to remove stubborn pitting ... not really thinking about how it would effect honing later on ... Very uneven hone .... I was able to salvage what I think is shave ready but it took all evening and a lot of frustration ...

I learned that when buffing the razor I should do whole swipes of the blade every time to keep it uniform ...

Seems obvious now...

Is this a normal tactic that I didn't know about? (ie. You can't dwell over the pitting, you must buff the whole thing in sequence )

... Sigh ....

- Jeremy

BigMark likes this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Please do not take this the wrong but you are new and you will make mistakes. I have made a few mistakes myself picking up vintage razors. I recently bought a 47 SS that I wish I had not bought now. You live and learn. I myself might have done the same thing as I try to make something as perfect as possible however in the process mistakes can happen. Btw post some pics so the guys can help you otherwise.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Once you realize where you make the mistake, then you can fix it. If you don't learn from it and change the process, you're bound to repeat it.
    Part of the education process for me is learning from others AND learning from my mistakes.
    Similar to sanding in carpentry, concentrating too much on one spot can be disastrous. Careful attention and constant movement are critical when using occilating/rotating equipment—whether it be sanders, buffers or grinders.

gssixgun and BigMark like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

What he said

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Just because I like to explore the opposite side in any discussion:

If we all learned from our mistakes, we would all be geniuses.

;)

gssixgun likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It takes me to about the 3rd time before I realize I've just made the same error...again. Some of us are just slow learners....

gssixgun likes this.
  7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I never claimed that I learned from my own errors.