Restoration Update

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

As promised, I am posting the before and after pics of a rough looking Sheraton that I won on eBay. Unfortunately, there was no gold left under all that tarnish, and it is down to the base metals. Which brings me to this question: Does anybody possess any knowledge about replating razors? Would it have to be disassembled? If it is not too outrageous, I would definitely entertain the idea of putting some fresh gold on this baby. I hate too see a beautiful piece like this turning into junk.

Before...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And after...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I do not believe it would have to be dissassembled. Looks like somebody took some MASS polish or something else that stripped off all the gold.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

In my opinion it would cost more to replate it than it would be worth. The case was definately worth what you paid though. If it were mine, I would find a nice one without case, put it in your case, and sell that one to someone who just wants to shave with one. Still looks decent though, too bad the razor is not as crisp as that case!

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yes, the case is definitely sharp -- and that was the main reason I bid on this. I do have another Sheraton that is pretty decent, it is just missing the gold on the doors.

5. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

you always can shave with that one. test it out and see if it is really worth replateing. I saw on instructables, a demonstration of how to gold plate. check there.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd leave it the way it is :)