Restoration worthy Razor?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Heljestrand23, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

According to @DaltonGang this is a mandatory post! I commented on his Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett, & Co SOD saying I have a HSB&C razor too with a chip and wasn't sure if it was worth restoring. Most noticeably there is a badly damaged scale.... The castle motif is right up my alley, but I guess it wasn't meant to be(I highly doubt they can be fixed). Now on to the razor, it is in fairly good condition with very little rust. There is a chip in the blade the size of the bevel in one spot. Other than that it's in pretty good condition. Not being able to hone yet and being a total noob at restoring scales I had relegated this razor to the junk pile.

SO, IS IT WORTH RESTORING? lol

Thanks guys!
    IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6667.JPG [​IMG] IMG_6670.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

My vote is go for it. Clean that bad boy up. it will take a bit of work for that chip. it is not huge.

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks like it has potential. Go for it.

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You should be able to get the handle restored as well, or at least replicated. It would be as simple as making a casting of the scales, carving out the missing section from the casting, then pouring some new epoxy.

@gssixgun might do that kind of work, or if not, he probably knows who does.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The blade should be an easy fix. I've fixed much worse. As for the scale, the pivot sections are always the most difficult. I haven had any luck fixing that part of the scales. Some others might have.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Looks worthy for a restoration. The chip can be honed out. I'll agree that @gssixgun could probably help you out, or at least give you some ideas on how to proceed.

7. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I may watch for some new shoes on the bay, the current ones look like more trouble than their worth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DaltonGang

I've tried buying shoes on ebay. They didn't fit correctly. :happy102:

Heljestrand23 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang