Restored Dubl Duck brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HoosierTrooper, Jul 18, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I bought this Dubl Duck brush about three years ago and it actually worked pretty good, but the knot was just a little too long, so about a year ago I trimmed off about a half an inch or so. It worked much better but I just didn't care for the looks of it and the knot was still pretty big and wide. Since it came originally with a boar knot, and says so on the handle, I decided to keep it as original as possible and replace it with a 22 mm Omega boar from TGN and wow, does it work great. I really like the looks of the black collar that these knots come with, it fits right in with the colors of the brush.

This is one outstanding performer.

Here's a couple before pictures of the front and back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the after shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!

3. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That should be much more maneuverable. Looks sharp!

I shake my head at times. I know NOS should command a higher price, but sometimes prices like that are just silly.

srpavko likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I love your refurb threads, Tom!
    They're really an inspiration to me to attempt a re-do on some older 'uglies' I've collected.
    I sampled down two of your images for a side-by-side before & after. Very cool brush!
    [​IMG]

Tattoobob, Boojum1, Doryferon and 2 others like this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yet another great brush Tom, very classy I like the way you stayed with boar. :cool:

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

It's like the salaries paid professional athletes. Just how is worth calculated? By what someone is willing to pay.

GDCarrington and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great comparison picture....The reknot/restore looks more original than the original....:) It looks positively NOS.....:happy088:

Doryferon likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! I really like the way you re-paint the lettering - outstanding!

11. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Another beautiful restore. Nice work.

12. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Tom, that's a very well done restore!!

Would love a tutorial on how to re do the lettering on these old beauties. I'm don't think I have the eyesight or steady hand!

13. HoosierTrooper

Thanks again everyone, I've been looking forward to showing this one off!

swarden, filling in the lettering really makes them pop, and DD sure did cram a lot of writing on this one!

srpavko, it's really not that difficult. I'm going to try to get a few minute in on one tomorrow, I'll try to take a few pics to show the process.

srpavko and swarden43 like this.
  14. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Whenever you can, it would help many I'm sure. Thanks!

15. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Well done, beautiful brush. I like the collar as well. What type of paint do you use to repaint with?

16. HoosierTrooper

Testors model car paint.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  17. HoosierTrooper

I have never quite been satisfied with the way this brush looked with the 22mm knot, and when I put the 27mm Omega knot in the large C-Mon handle I realized what this Dubl Duck needed so I ordered another one from TGN.

After a little twisting and pulling I got the 22mm knot out, chopped the plastic bucket off the new 27mm and glued it in the handle. One of the advantages of silicone adhesive is that the knot can be removed to change knots, something that probably can't be done with epoxy.

Now, I really like the looks of the brush because I think it looks more balanced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Very nice work indeed!

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A good decision! The brush looked great before, but I see what you were looking to achieve by increasing the brush size relative to the handle. Proportionally a better fit.
    Nice job as usual!

20. Matgo56

Matgo56 New Member

Why is it called a Dubl Duck? Is that the style with the long handle or the brand name...sorry I'm a noob. But, I have a long handles vintage brush like this I want to restore with a boar knot as well.

Radiotube likes this.