Restoring a 1971 Gillette Super 109

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hawaiian Punch, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Thanks. Testors is not available in the UK but I’m sure I can find a suitable alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit likes this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Humbrol or Revell would probably have the equivalent paint.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Any black enamel will do...semigloss would most closely match the original, I think.

brit likes this.
  4. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Humbrol sell a satin coal black, would you consider this a decent choice? Will I need to bake the razor after painting?

Enrico likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know only Testors (here in the U.S.) so I really can't say but a satin finish sounds about right. I do know matte/dead flat won't match the original anymore than a high gloss would. Somewhere in between would work.

With an everyday enamel? Wouldn't think so, should air dry just fine. But depending on how thin or thick it is right out of the bottle, it might need thinned a little to go on evenly? Then again, I seem to recall from my old model building days that Humbrol is a quality name so it probably won't need it.

PS If the numbers are also worn, you can either fill in with paint using an ultrafine tip brush, or (what I always did) just use a fine tip Sharpie permanent marker. It never wore off, no one can tell it's not paint, and is SO much simpler to do.

brit likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Coal black sounds good, course my geology background makes me think of the luster of Anthracite coal, but Bituminous coal is more of a satin.

brit, gorgo2 and kfbrady like this.
  7. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Being a quality brand a think Humbrol would be Welsh Coal Black

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

curious if the original paint on the razor will hold a repaint. any silicone in the original finish may cause issues..is it painted or coated? meant to seal the aluminum handle?

Hembree likes this.
  9. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

It’s a 1978 model which seems to be an enamelled aluminium handle. I’ve thoroughly cleaned it with acetone and applied the first coat of satin black. I’ll report back once it’s dried.

brit and Hembree like this.
  10. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Late reply. As soon as I had made my previous post I masked and repainted the handle after cleaning. Used Humbrol Coal Black (satin black) and it looked really good. Finish lasted until this week. Each time I used the razor I cleaned it with liquid soap and a soft toothbrush. Normally I dry with a hairdryer but this week on holiday I wiped the handle with a soft towel instead and a large amount of paint flakes off!

Need to think carefully about how I can prevent this next time I repair the handle. Any ideas?

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

you may have to use an etching primer that adheres to plastics/fiberglass..possibly a marine paint also..they were probably dipped during manufacture.onto treated aluminum..maybe high silicone content in the coating..

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If I remember correctly, Captain Murphy used epoxy spray paint.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

makes sense.that would work..some coatings/paints are hard to paint over..

jimjo1031 likes this.