Review: Baili Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jasman, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I received these in a PIF (thanks, Sarge) with a promise to review all the blades I got, so here's the first review. These are Chinese made Personna blades, according to packaging and a few minutes of research on the internet, with platinum and a Teflon coating. The packaging is decently done, although I personally find the double wrapping a little excessive, with slight traces of wax on the blades. The wax is nowhere near as copious as on Astra, for example. While I got mine in a PIF, price is apparently somewhere around $0.30/blade, neither super-cheap nor very pricey as blades go.

The edges of the blades do not appear as uniform as I would have hoped, but close inspection made me think that may be simple discoloration, and not an uneven surface (perhaps the Teflon is a contributor here). The blades are a bit wider than other brands I'm familiar with, with the unsharpened edges sticking out of the sides a bit more prominently than I'm used to, which may have contributed to the need to fuss with the seating of the blade in the razor a bit more than usual; this was the case in both my Merkur 41c and my FaTip Piccolo.

Performance-wise, I did not find the Baili to be particularly sharp nor particularly smooth, regardless of which razor I loaded the blades in. While two passes are normally enough for me to get a DFS, I would hesitate to call the results of two passes with a Baili 'darned fine,' thought the more aggressive Piccolo was a bit better at getting the most out of the Baili's capabilities. Two or more passes also produced relatively significant razor burn for me.

If you see 'Teflon coating' and immediately think 'Voskhod' or 'Timor,' I suspect you'll be disappointed with the Baili. To my sensibilities, the Baili performs closest to a Derby among those blades I've tried. As always, YMMV.

2. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Chinese made Personna, no thanks. But I do love my American made Personna's. I have to say that considering the quality of the average made in China product, you're a brave man for putting that blade to your face :)

Shaver X and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice review!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I was afraid of this type of performance when I saw these blades coming to more points of sale. Thanks for the good review.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nice review! Can we see a pic?

6. stlbeermonkay

stlbeermonkay New Member

Here is the thing. I had a 2 day growth and got the idea to use a less sharp blade in my very aggressive vintage 1923 aristocrat and the combo was surprisingly awesome. No weepers like i occasionally get using Astra blades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using Tapatalk

7. stlbeermonkay

stlbeermonkay New Member

My last comment was made with much sleep deprivation. The razor that worked nicely with Baili blades was my 1923 New not my 1940's Aristocrat. Duh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using Tapatalk

8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Interesting review, although, considering the Weishi is one of my go-to razors, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss Chinese craftsmanship out of hand. Industry in China is like that in any other country: some companies produce excellent product, and some, not so much.

Shaver X likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i use my sharper blades in mild razors and not so sharp blades in my more aggressive razors.so far so good