Review of Clubman Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Paul Turner, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

2 shaves in with this 2 oz. soap, and here's what I have to say about it:

Size- many of the reviewers on the Clubman website(@clubmanonline.org) report that they wish this could have been in a larger size. Perhaps an indication that they liked it and thus want more OF it. I find I have to be careful loading my Burma Shave, as excessive strength can cover the whole puck. It's probably wise of c lubman to begin with the small size, to compare all the overall reviews; then perhaps we can look for a larger size later on. I'll say this though, it's easy for me to see how the 2 oz. size can go for quite a while. 7/10.

Lather Strength-Lathers quite well, although I find it may take less time than what appears to be the routine loading time of 20 seconds, without having some soap spill over. Certainly easier to load&lather than Williams Mug Soap(albeit that is the only other one I've tried). More "bubbly"(than Williiams). 8/10.

Scent-I'm a little disappointed here because it is described on the website as having the Vanilla scent, although it's just called Clubman Shave Soap. Some reviewers believe that there's less of the Vanilla scent than do others, and I come in with the former group. It isn't the same as the original Clubman, yet I find less of a vanilla scent than there is on the Stirling Barbershop. Although it's a nice manly scent just the same, I'm giving it a 6/10 because Clubman may have had a slight dilemma figuring out a proper title for the soap, given the conflicting reviews(that is, some saying "where's the vanilla?, and others saying "why wasn't this called Clubman Vanilla Shave Soap),.

Slickness-quite smooth feeling indeed. Some areas of my face don't need a second pass, whereas others do, so I just play it safe with the 2. 9/10.

Overall comments-I'm very pleased Clubman came out with this soap. I'll be most anxious to see how many shaves I can get out of it. With the scent issue, my Clubman Original A.S. is a nice finish, confirming an overall "Original Scent", yet I suppose those of you who have the Clubman Vanilla A.S., can get the "added Vanilla". I think I'll order this again, being able to add the Country Club Shampoo to the order(when the shampoo runs out)for a nice package deal. In the future, I'd love to see this in 4 oz., and for them to change the scent description to "somewhat of a Vanilla scent"(or something like that). Eddie Pinaud did a solid job on this one. 8/10.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    brit, MR41, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the detailed review Paul. I enjoy several Pinaud products, but haven't tried the shave soap yet. Now I'm tempted.
    My post in before "Need Lather Shots" comment. I know you would if you could. Must be a way we collectively can enable you to post photos. Rent a 15 year old to tutor 21st century skills?

brit and Demidog like this.
  3. Paul Turner

That's what I need, a smart 15-year old who already says things like "Totally awesome, .....text me, man, put me on your I-phone", lol.. But seriously, yes, I would do pics if I could. Where is this "Need Lather Shots". Do you explain how it's done?

brit, Demidog and RyX like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've seen a trend. When someone does a shave soap review, if they don't post a photo of a big ole pile of suds hanging off their brush, shortly there after another member will say," Need Lather Shots!"
    I was getting my comment in before their comment.
    I'm a little younger than you but only a little. I was fortunate to have teenage children in place when 1995 happened. My kids kept me schooled up in technology as it tried to run off and leave me behind. Now that they are independent adults I'm on my own, but I'm the Tech Wizard for my parents.
    If you carry a phone with a camera there are ways to get pictures onto the internet. Not a simple one button click, but like all skills you can learn!

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

When my nephew comes back for his Christmas, etc....vacation, I may ask him to help me on this. He's a whiz, a geek.

brit, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Well, I'm winding down oon the soap. One, maybe two shaves to go with it. The guy doing the Yotube video was right-he'd keep interrupting his commentary by wishing there was more soap. But until I finish, I'll see if I want to order another of these 2 oz. tubs or go for the 16 oz. "Clubman Barber Creme", where you just dip in and scoop out from the tub manually-no brush needed. With my 4 oz. Russian Leather(TSD Shop)and Sandalwood(WSP), it isn't like I'll be out of shave soap shortly.

brit, crackstar, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Where did you buy it at? I noticed the other day that my local Walgreens now carries a variety of clubman products. Shave soap, beard oil, aftershave, and I believe there was one more item.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  8. Paul Turner

I ordered it on the Clubman website. Shave soap at your Walgreen's eh? Pretty good...I'll have to try the one near me.

brit and crackstar like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Just tossed out the Clubman soap-I decided I didn;t have enough left for a 2-pass. It was good.

10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

That's the quickest that I've seen someone go through 2 oz of soap. I've been working on a 2 oz Dr. Jon's soap for maybe two months now and I'd estimate that I still have 75% left.

PickledNorthern and PLAla like this.
  11. Paul Turner

how many passes do you make, and is it the only soap you've used in that time period?

12. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Two passes with touch ups but I only load the brush once per shave and yes, it is the only soap that I've used that whole time.

13. Paul Turner

oh, that could be it.....I'm a two-loader if I do a second ;pass.

brit and Demidog like this.