Revisiting old gear

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PalmettoB, Dec 29, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Since I usually use a str8, the issue hasn't come up lately. But as I mentioned in my SoS post, I injured the middle finger on my left hand, so with it all bandaged up, it is hard to wield a str8.

So I decided to DE shave today, and pulled out an old friend. My long-handled Merkur 23c. I had a few Israeli Personna blades left from a blade sample pack, and though I had long ago written off IPs, I threw one in and tried it.

SHAZAM! What a shave! I guess when I first tried those so long ago, my technique wasn't what it is now. I got a great shave, no harshness, and NO CUTS. Before, the IPs had butchered me good. But I really got a great shave this morning. So don't write off that old gear sometimes, but come back to it from time to time as your technique improves. You never know what will work that didn't in the past.

Anybody else ever go back and find something that works for them now that didn't seem to before?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sorry to hear you're injured, Blair.

I'm glad the IPs ended up working for you though.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Thats what happens when you flip me the bird.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Old gear, definitely.

Most of the time, its a blade that falls into this category......but I have found new appreciation for creams/soaps/aftershaves in this same manner.

Hell, two years ago Old Spice was "old gear" to me. Now I can't get enough of it. :drool

5. fritz

fritz New Member

So exactly how did you add the menthol to your Old Spice?:D

6. Will

Will Nevermind

Elementary my dear Watson.

Put on Aqua Velva fist, then use Old Spice as an EDC.

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

and they don't explode from the sheer combined OLD SCHOOL power? :eek:

8. Will

Will Nevermind

No, but you could take Chuck Norris in a fight....................

Well maybe not Chuck, Mr. T sure (old T not the B.A. one)

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I hear that under Chuck Norris' beard.. is another fist.

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

"Old Spicy Velva"
    ......geez. Who doesnt know that :rolleyes:

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Sure...when I'm on the road I use my Gillette Fatboy w/IP when I am in a rush. Just the other day I used T&H Rose, man that is some great stuff. I have a drawer full of creams I don't use.

Raf

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Well, with about 17 straight razors in the current rotation, if I rotate 'em right, about every two weeks I'm back to using "old gear." :happy097

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I thought it was thumbs you busted? :confused:

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

My old gear are terrible electrics, you couldn't pay me enough to pickup those terrible things again.

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yup. There is some old gear I wouldn't revisit either. I have flashbacks to BIC or Good News disposables! :eek:

16. xChris

xChris Member

meh... Some of my "old gear" is still BNIB (e.g., gold HD, gold slant).

17. fritz

fritz New Member

That's curious. Can you tell us why?

18. xChris

xChris Member

Well... I just haven't gotten around to them. :o

I have a Merkur Progress and a couple of Gilette SuperSpeeds that have been doing well for me. Of course, I'm an avid straight razor user too. So, I've just never gotten around to breaking them out for rotation. I think I have a little apprehension about using them since they're the GOLD variety; I should get over that.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

my old gear was my M3 and Sensor razors, and I threw them both away a month ago! :rofl :rofl :rofl

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Same here my old gear went to goodwill over a year ago. Good ridance to bad rubbish.