Rinse Brush or Leave Soapy?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Every now and then I'm tempted to buy another puck of Williams Mug. I wound up looking at a YouTube article on producing lather from Williams, and the guy advised never rinsing the soap out of a brush after use -- just leaving it soapy, and presumably letting it dry. Somehow I can't believe this is OK. In my way of thinking, it would be a mess, for starters, and maybe not so good for the brush in the end. So tell me, is this advice reasonable, or not. I've never heard or seen of it before. Does it contain any beneficial foundation from the present or past practices? I've always rinsed my brushes thoroughly after use. Comments?

178-bplatoon, Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Do not believe anything found on YouTube.

Marine68, 9nein9, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

To me not rinsing your brush off thoroughly after use would degrade it's durability in the long run. Or at the very least cause you to have one hell of a clean up job after a while.

BoiseBound, Marine68, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My old man’s brush mostly just got plopped back into the mug on top of the soap and sat there until the next day. It looks like Hell, but it works fine. When I started doing this again, it was not any sort of hobby, and I did that same thing with my first brush, an Omega 49. I shaved, put the brush back in the mug and put the mug in a drawer. About a year or so in, it started dumping hair like a coyote with mange.

I have no idea if my dad’s inexpensive boars dropped dead on him, and he had to replace them once in a while, or if it was the same one for the years I lived there. I would never go the leave it in the mug route again, cause I take good care of my brushes now.

5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

.......squeeze, rinse, and shake at the least.

Marine68, Enrico, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just thinking on it ... animal fat and animal hair soaking for indeterminate period of time. Sound like a great way for some nasty growth, then apply to face and scrape face (with possible nicks).

I'll pass. :sick007:

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The advice is a good way to shorten the life of your equipment.
    I have heard of leaving lather dry to promote the ends to split on new boar brushes. But for daily use, I'd recommend not doing that. It's got to be sloppy, and just plain nasty.

9nein9, Zykris, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, what everybody else said...............

9nein9, Bobcat and Zykris like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    What the heck, take that $9 Omega and, by all means, leave it in the soap! While you're at it, store it in a dark closet...who doesn't love sautéed mushrooms. :eatdrink020:

Not that I would ever do such a thing.

Arnout, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Same here. I've heard of that method for speeding up the breakin process of natural hair brushes. It's more supposed to cover up the wet dog smell of a new brush though.

9nein9 and Zykris like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Rinse thoroughly, towel dry, set it with the hair up. I believe this will make your brush last its longest.

Marine68, 9nein9, Chuck F and 6 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I learned sumthin'. I thought Williams killed the mange. :)

9nein9, Bobcat, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  13. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Yep, I rinse thoroughly under a fast water stream with the bristles down, then hold under a mild water stream with bristles up, supported by thumb and forefinger so bristles are not bent back by the flow, remove from water flow when water is clear, give a little squeeze from handle end of bristles to remove most water, shake into the shower with a couple of medium intensity whipping motions, towel dry with a few back and forth strokes N-S and then E-W, then either hang with bristles down or park with bristles up. Thanks all.

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Yup, there's a reason those brushes have a flat bottom! And almost all brushes have wording that is right side up when the brush is hair end up.

15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:signs011:

9nein9 and Bobcat like this.
  16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Lots of opinions on hair up or hanging. But, I would, at least, do this.

9nein9 and Zykris like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Pop me an addy I will get you a cake of Williams goodness. Watch one of my Williams videos. No voodoo needed to lather it.

I saw that.

My Grandad always said to not rinse a brush out as it wasted soap.... His brush allways looking a pig that hit hit with a hay rake. I agree with the group. Rinse the brush.

9nein9 and wristwatchb like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have heard people say their father never rinsed or dried his brush. Maybe if I had started shaving way back when and learned that I would do it that way; but since I learned to clean and dry them as part of learning to use DE/SEs, I can’t imagine doing differently. Plus leaving things uncleared or maintained just makes my skin crawl.

9nein9 likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Rinse. You also don't leave shampoo in your hair, do you? ;)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

9nein9 and BigMike like this.
  20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I rinse my pure badger in a small bowl of water a couple of times, shake dry, and hang bristles down. Interesting that several folks have recommended storing bristles up. Seems to me like that would promote rot.