Rinse Brush or Leave Soapy?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 20, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Most of my brushes are stored knot up and have been for years. No problems at all.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Rinse, swirl in lather mug with clear water, squeeze under the facet, shake out, towel dry, then hang bristles down from my AS rack in the open air.
    I've used a VERY inexpensive bestshave #6 (horse?) hair brush consistently since I started, the knot was rehandled in acrylic in the beginning by a friend, its 7 years old now and still going strong. I'll get one or two hairs shed every once in a blue moon.:)

3. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

I think there's some info in some post where some fellow did a test of bristles up vs. bristles down, and he couldn't tell the difference it made to the time it took for the brush to dry. The conclusion was it didn't harm or protect the brush better either way. I also have noticed (as did TobyC et al) most brush handles have a flat bottom, presumably for parking "bristles up", not just for display in the store.

4. blitz

blitz Member

as long as you don't leave it sopping wet it makes zero difference because of the capillary effect.

wristwatchb and Enrico like this.
  5. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I've left soap in a boar brush once or twice to help with the break-in, and improve the smell of the brush.

I don't do that anymore. It didn't seem to make much difference. I just use them to break them in.

After I shave, I always rinse and shake off the water. Place on shelf, handle down/knot up.

wchnu and Enrico like this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

That's how we end up with all those old "J" shaped old boars we see in the antique shops.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have allowed brushed to dry with bristles up and with bristles down. It doesn't seem to make a difference as long as it is rinsed and allowed to dry in open air.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    EnglishChannel likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hung 'em, stood 'em, no difference, except if you hang, you can save some counter space.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No matter how you dry them, just keep them out reach of the dog. Ask @jimjo1031 about that. Sorry, it still gives me two or three reactions; :eek: then:angry019:, but envisioning you chasing the dog:happy093:, makes me do this :happy097: .

EnglishChannel and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I rince and squeeze and since and shake and run a hair blower brush thru the bristles so I don't end up with a rats nest. Then I shake it out and store it bristles up. So far so good.

11. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

If I was an ItalianBarber I might leave a brush soapy, but probably not even then. Knowing me, I’d have a row of brushes to cycle through each day.

As a one shave a day guy, I’d never not rinse and dry my brushes.

12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Rinse, squeeze, rinse, shake, then brush a few strokes on a towel. Dry standing up. Has worked for me for years.

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I rinse my brush, shake it, squeeze lightly, and hang down. If nothing else, it'll avoid that "open flower" effect as gravity eventually pulls the soft bristles outwards; mostly it means it's hanging in my shower so I can use it, and doesn't get knocked over easily.

Of course, with my "Donald Trump" brush, there's no way to stop the swirly effect.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Synthetics don't absorb water. Rinse and shake dry.

15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

What about the soap though? If you are letting the soap dry in a brush you are limiting yourself to that one soap for that one brush (unless you mix and match). I thoroughly rinse and dry my brushes because I like to change soaps and scents frequently.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

For the entire time I was a kid growing up, there were two soaps: Williams (mostly) and Colgate. Couldn’t have cared less. When I got back into traditional shaving, I used the same brush and soap for five years. Then I discovered forums.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

And the "ADs" started?

18. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

I’m in the rinse camp. When I first started, I bought 2 Omega boars, a Pro 49 and the smaller Cocobolo handled one. The Pro 49 I broke in just through using it, it never shed a hair. The Cocobolo handled one I left lather in overnight, and it shed like crazy. Could be coincidence, but I’ve not done it with any other brush since, and have had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatty acids in soap are a great food for growing healthy colonies of serratia.

20. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I always rinse my brush and dry it against a towel before hanging it to dry. I strongly suspect my father never has and never will rinse his brush. It does make the bristles clump neatly together, and I do not doubt creates a top notch opportunity to begin a fungus collection.