Rockwell - adjustable razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok, this IS interesting!

Rockwell Insiders,

Video link here

We’ve got big news… Launching today on Kickstarter is the brand new Rockwell Model T - a fluidly adjustable one-piece razor. And as you’re the first to hear about it, you have the chance to get in on early bird pricing before everyone else!

[​IMG]

The Rockwell Model T is an easy to use razor, with an adjustable dial that allows everyone to easily get a close and comfortable shave every time. Even better - every backer of the Rockwell Model T will get a free pack of 100 Rockwell Stainless Steel Blades - that’s two years of blades included with your pledge! There will be even more freebies for backers that we’ll announce throughout the campaign.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to thank all of you for your ongoing support for Rockwell - now we need your help to make the Model T a reality. Any pledge for a Model T or share on social media is a huge step towards revolutionizing shaving. We can’t wait to hear what you think about the new Rockwell Model T!

Gareth & Morgan
    Co-Founders, Rockwell Razors

rusty.harvey, Spud, Robyflexx and 5 others like this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

oh men this is awesome!!! and I was about to come over here to post about this razor, but I would like to know the materials its made and will it be MIM molding? need to talk to Gareth pronto

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks like a modern slim..:drool:

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

But with a, to me, more appealing handle.
    "Only" 1-6 though ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Agree the handle is great and I presume this puppy is stainless...

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here are @mantic 's first impressions.
    Head over and have a read!

Rockwell 6s vs Rockwell T
    (Photo by @mantic59 )
    [​IMG]

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    $79 super early bird special?
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully it won't take a year and a half this time.

Jayaruh, Colonel_K, vwp528 and 2 others like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I am, I must admit, a bit disappointed in the material choices;

• Zinc internal components ensure extreme durability.
    • "Unlike the stainless steel Rockwell 6S, the materials for the Rockwell T are the more commonplace chrome over brass."

Joef, Robyflexx and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Kickstarter pledge cancelled. Fastest about face I've ever made in my life.

I'm not interested in owning a razor with Zinc internal components. The chrome over brass didn't bother me.

dbersh, Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

just read up a little more and it says the outer construction is all brass but the internals are zinc, are Gillettes TTO internals zinc or everything is brass?

My question is will there be water entering inside the handle or will it be sealed? if water and soap residue enters wouldn't that rust the zinc internals? I also almost jumped for the pledge

BeShaved likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Don't know but it would be very interesting to learn what Gillette used in the Slim/Fatboy as those puppies have survived well over the decades.

12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I know that people are just jumping for the early bird prices but we need some more info on the TTO Gillettes and its internals material, last time I checked I never dissaemble my TTO when I clean it and wipe off the water.

I disassemble the 3 piece razors totally after shaving but not my TTO's don't even know how to disassemble them so I only clean the head.

How does Zinc internals offer better durability over brass internals?

Anyone care to elaborate what materials are used for the Gillette internals?

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Did receive the Rockwell email and noted that they razor will not ship until March 2017.
    [​IMG]

Sold off a few adjusters recently. Found that I wasn't using them as part of my rotation. With regards to the F.B. vs Slim I prefer that added weight of the F.B.. May not be as maneuverable (fatter head) as some other Gillette adjustable but it's manageable. Hard to beat the longevity of the Gillette F.B. and Slim testament to good materials.

BeShaved, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Almost jumped on early bird myself until reading specs. As mentioned no issue chromed brass but not with zinc internals. Without more details like will the zinc be anodized or coated? More info needed for me.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the info. Looks
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, the Gillette TTO razors are all brass, inside and out. Except perhaps the two springs. How do I know, because I have had the internals modified on one razor I have. "Frankenfatty".

17. Slipperyjoe

They may have made this material choice for a good reason. Closed in areas not exposed to much air circulation can develop rust even with higher end stainless and affect the internal mechanism causing problems. There are plenty of issues that can occur with internal brass mechanisms in adjustable razors never mind stainless...

BeShaved, Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

This razor is awesome looking!

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Fatboy and Slim are all brass, the Super Adjustables are brass internals, brass head, and aluminum handle.

For comparison, the Merkur Futar and Vision are Zinc bodies with plastic internals.
    The brass was plated before the razor was assembled. Any 'issues' I have read about generally involve one of two things, a broken spring on the adjustment mechanism itself, or a buildup of shaving detritus inside the handle from users who never bothered to open the razor's head up and give it a rinse after each shave.
    Edit: and brass can't rust. I think a stainless razor of this type would be a mistake.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Impressive...a long Slim with the doors of a Senator and fantastic grip. Handsome combo.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016