Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Rockwell, Rockwell, Rockwell! It feels so nice to be able to say that without getting banned ;) and to see a group that appreciates this razor.

A friend was actually trying to convince me to get started wetshaving back when Rockwell were on Kickstarter for the first time. I pledged so it was technically my "first" razor, but got a bit of the AD and started in before it got to me.

With the exception of 2 shaves I have used the Rockwell V2 for very single shave since I got it, there is just no comparison to other razors. I started with plate 3 but quickly moved up to plate 5/6. I did notice that with one Rockwell I greatly preferred the 6 plate but with a different one I prefer the 5 plate. The other is making the rounds on its 3rd passaround and sucking in more and more people to the club. :happy108:

My current every other day shave is
    Rockwell S6 on plate 5/6 using the V1 handle. I just love the extra sharp knurling.
    Gillette 7 O'clock Green Super Stainless (Russian)
    Italian Barber 26mm synthetic
    Mitchell's Wool Fat (occasionally use something else to switch things up)
    Thayers Rose
    Institut Karite ASB when it is dry

I have fairly sensitive skin with tough hair and a mildly annoying beard growth pattern and with this setup I get irritation free DFS's (I can't chase ATG BBS, not worth the pain) which is something I did not get with any other razors.

The Model T and 6C Chrome have both been pledged for.

Cheers Folks :eatdrink047:

I agree with the 89 comparison. It shaves like a 3-4 but the Rockwell is much smoother.

tuxxdk and Str8 Shaver like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome to the Den. I think you will find that things are much less "police state" here, but that it is the most civil and friendly of any forum I have visited, at the same time. Glad to have you here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AverageJoe, tuxxdk and Str8 Shaver like this.
  3. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Soap - Proraso Red Soap Tub
    Razor - Rockwell 6S
    Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Brush - Omega 10098
    Aftershave - Ginger's Garden Aventus

I've had this razor for a couple of months and this is my first time using it. I loaded the big boar and whipped up a nice lather, then took a WTG pass using plate 2, then took an XTG pass using plate 4. Best DFS with a DE razor so far. Only stubble I could feel was a very little as I passed my hand ATG. Soon I will take the time to do a proper 3 pass shave with this fine razor. I will also spend some time experimenting with the various plates, but will keep the same blade to reduce variables. I love the feel of this razor. I like the weight and solid construction. Definitely one of my all time favs so far.

Str8 Shaver and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. bscarpenter

Soap - Stirling Orange Chill
    Razor - Rockwell 6S
    Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Brush - Omega 10098
    Aftershave - Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir

I loaded the brush & mixed up a big batch of the sterling into lather (probably enough for 5 passes). The soap goes on with a cooling menthol and an orange scent the smells just like riding my motorcycle through the orange groves of central Florida. I had the 5/6 plate on the Rockwell for the first time. On the WTG pass, there was more audible feedback than I have gotten so far from a DE shave. I lathered my face again and ohhh that smell. I flipped the plate for a XTG pass. More audible feedback & an aggressive feel. I rode the cap with no drama, cuts, nicks or weepers. When I rinsed, I could feel this was the closest I have come to BBS. Would definitely pass the cotton ball test, but I could still feel just a tiny bit of stubble rubbing AGT on my jaw. I splashed on the aftershave which is a fantastic compliment to the soap. Overall the shave was a little harsh. I think I may go back to the #4 plate.

Str8 Shaver and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

For me, I think this razors shines most in the 3-4 range. (Not really counting 1-2 as they are just too mild for me to use.) When I want that really aggressive/efficient shave, I look at other razors. The 5-6 plate gets the job done, but I do not find it as comfortable as say, my R41 or Fatip.

4 is definitely my most used plate, and gives me excellent shaves.

Str8 Shaver likes this.
  6. bscarpenter

Can I "ass-u-me" that if the plate stamped with 5 facing down is the 5 plate and not the 6 which is facing upward?

7. PickledNorthern

Correct. Whichever plate is showing on the underside when the razor is assembled.

8. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
    Pre shave - Proraso
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
    Blade – Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless
    Brush - 'The Archduke' (Bob Sears Archduke 26/50 2-Band Manchurian)
    Soap – Phoenix and Beau Unscented
    Post - Witch Hazel

the Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless is a touch too much with ‘The Rock’... not a blade that I can really relax with.... 'The Archduke' is just a wonderful brush.. it takes a little longer to load, due I guess to the gel (hooked) tips, but man, it's a real joy to throw around yer chops...

korbz likes this.
  9. Str8 Shaver

Pre shave - Proraso
    Blade – Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush - 'The Duke' (Duke 3 Best)
    Soap – Le Père Lucien Tallow
    Post - Witch Hazel, Jojoba oil.

LPL Tallow is a lovely soap, so you'd think having it matched with 'The Rock/GSB combo it would be an outstanding shave... NOPE!! I cut my upper lip, and I have a rash around my 'trouble' spots...Yet again, LPL just doesn't agree with me, it simply lacks the protection that I require... But I can see it working for a lot of people, so if you get the chance, try and grab a sample...YOU may not be disappointed.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. elduderino2412

elduderino2412 New Member

Wow we can talk about Rockwell Razors on here and not get post deleted. Nice.
    This is my favorite razor right now. I pretty much use it on R6 all the time. Super smooth shave, great weight and good balance. I use Astra SP.
    Will probably get the TTO Model T as well, b/c i'm such a fan of the 6S.

11. Str8 Shaver

Pre shave - Proraso
    Blade – Astra S/P
    Brush - 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
    Soap – Chiseled Face Cryogen

I've been looking forward to using the Chiseled Face Cryogen soap.. well, I'll start off by saying, Bloody 'ell, that were cold!! This'll make yer eyes water...
    'The Rock'+ Astra S/P combo gave a BBS finish, with a little irritation.. but nothing too extreme. Yeah, I enjoyed that...

12. Str8 Shaver

Wash - Meissner Tremonia Puristic
    Pre shave - Proraso
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #2)
    Blade – Personna Med Preps
    Brush - 'Jade' (Rooney Heritage 2XL Jade)
    Soap – Reef Point Submariner

by 'eck, that were champion... the Med Prep behaved wonderfully with the #2 plate, giving a lovely smooth, BBS shave, whilst the Reef Point Submariner proved to be a very protective soap with plenty of glide. Post shave, my skin was feeling a bit dry, but the Jojoba oil took care of that. In fact, it was one of those shaves where I did an extra pass, simply for s~#ts and giggles. Sorted!!:happy036:

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It would be totally silly to ban talk about a certain razor unless a certain site had certain issues with certain makers. We don't have such certain issues here ;)

elduderino2412 likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

Correct. The visible plate number is the active plate.

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Certain sites do have issues with talking about Kickstarter projects, so that would make talk about the Rockwell Model T and 6C off-limits.

16. tuxxdk

Yes, I'm aware :) I stay away from those certain sites :D

17. PickledNorthern

I really really want them to start selling individual caps. If I remember right, Gareth said they would be when they got caught up with supply of the 6S in general.

tuxxdk and Terry Williams like this.
  18. Str8 Shaver

Pre shave - Proraso
    Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #2)
    Blade – Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush - 'Mama Chub' (Chubby 2 Two Band)
    Soap – Eufros Tobacco (Tallow)

Well, that was an uplifting shave. Although I feel the GSB is better suited to the #3 plate, it produced a flawless BBS finish, and the Eufros Tobacco was impeccable.. great lather, great protection, great glide, with a wonderful, warm tobacco scent, and a great post shave feel. Yeah, sweet!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  19. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Correct. They have pretty much caught up but sales are still taking every razor that passes QC. I am guessing that once the Model T and 6C come out they will help offset some sales from the 6S and allow Gareth to stock individual parts.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.