Rockwell vs the world?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs131:

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Paul at Connaught responded to my query about the SBS by saying he did not believe the patent dispute would come to anything, that it was not beIng discontinued, and that he has plenty in stock. So different story from Italian Barber and the other North American distributors (Inc Maggard and Shave Nation) apparently facing potential litigation from Rockwell's suits.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Two thoughts, first of all Rockwell's patent doesn't mean anything in the UK. They would have to file for a separate patent there. Secondly, I don't think retailers would be party to the case. Seems to me it would be strictly a case against Ikon for patent infringement.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes on the first point. On the second my understanding was that cease and desist orders were issued to the distributors.

5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

First, I know nothing about international patents so the following is truly a question. I believe Rockwell is a Canadian company, so do their patents hold up in the US?

I thought most countries recognized each others patents. Wouldn't it be a mess if you had to have a patent issued in every county in which you wanted to sell a product?

Just asking.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, copyrights or patents in the US don't really count overseas.

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I believe they filed for a U.S.patent.

And no, countries don't honor each other's patents. If you want protection in said country you must apply for a patent there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They filed for US patent in 2014 and it was published as approved March 2016.

Copy here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12RZqmvt5SAhShC4ITloCmtFTGOYwlTpw/view?usp=drivesdk

[​IMG]

Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Isn't Greg from iKon still in Thailand? Probably doesn't affect him at all. He probably does not care either. I kinda agree with him. He started the whole custom stainless DE market years before 99.99% of the razors you see now were an idea in someone's mind. I think I still have one of his original Progress knobs that he started with. I think I paid $15 around or before 2008 when he went under the moniker PureSlab on B&B

Linuxguile and jmudrick like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Thailand kinda does that to you. I should look him up.

11. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

H

He's his own guy. I have had nice email exchanges with him. He is very knowledgeable on old DE designs and you can see that in his own models. I'm still waiting on that all stainless Apollo Micron design he teased years back. Maybe one day

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The last German patent would have expired about 40 years ago so yeah, I think that would work. Sign me up.

[​IMG]

13. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

It really doesn't matter who was first or who Rockwell decides to sue over patents. Rockwell C's are sourced from China. Once their supplier decides to copy that design Rockwell better run for cover because nothing will stop their production & sales. I see another Viking debacle in the making.

BBS likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Prior art makes the patent invalid in the US.

Case and point the Bohin razor which has a reversible base plate with 4 different gaps and an adjustable blade exposure feature built into the razor.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  15. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Prior art and $200,000 in attorney fees.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe not that high in fees but still winnable.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I wonder how much Segal spent to "win" the legal battle with Gillette over the adjustable TTO DE. There are indirect costs in a patent fight -- like losing distribution -- that may be much more costly than the legal fees. Gillette also ultimately lost the challenge to its Probak blade patent but possession of the defective patent kept competition at bay for a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Hembree likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah and squeeze you on the price and supply effectively putting you out of business if you don't have a back up supplier on hand. This why even if you do have 2 or more independent suppliers lined up you still need to always be able to shift production in house as a fall back option.

It already has been copied
    https://suppaparts.com/Safety-Razor.php

$90 shipped Fed-Ex and made out of titanium. Beat that for value. Performance I wouldn't know never having used it.

Hembree likes this.