Roll/Stuff your own cigs? Let's talk...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by IAmTheJody, Jan 14, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

First, yes I know smoking is bad for you. And yes, I know I'm addicted to nicotine.. but aside from that, I don't quit because... ready for it? I actually like smoking.

I've been stuffing my own cigs for about a year now. I use Beretta cigarette tubes, Three Sails tobacco from Daughters & Ryan (aka D&R, located in North Carolina) and a Powermatic II electric stuffing machine.

This is premium tobacco with no added chemicals or preservatives, and excellent tubes. The tubes' paper isn't whitened using bleach like everyone else does. The paper is whitened using oxygen. Therefore no foul tastes from the paper of inhaled yucky bleaching chemicals.

My cost for a carton of cigs is now $15.00 instead of $50+ a carton for my old brand which was Camel FF Filter. Plus, as I said, I'm getting much better tobacco and tubes.

Premade cigs (aka Marlboro, Camel, Winston, etc.) are all required now to have that FSC fire safety chemical and strips added to them, meaning more inhaled chemicals not to mention the cigarette going out all the time and ashes falling all over the place. You don't have this problem with tubes because they aren't required by law to be FSC.

So anyone else stuff or roll your own?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Before I quit smoking 14 months ago, I rolled my own. A pack would come with ~50 papers and normally last me about a week. Before the last major tax increase, I was paying about $3.50 a pack. After the tax, they were between $7 and $8 a pack. I was never a fan of the tubes or rolling machines. I always just hand rolled a ciggy. It got to the point where I could roll one using one hand while driving.

I used to enjoy Bali Shag, Golden Virginia, and Sansom. I have to tell you though, that as much as I enjoyed the smoke, I enjoy not smoking at least twice as much.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I had the whole stuffing kit about six years ago. It was quite cheap, something like .88¢ a pack. I had the manual crank machine. Once a week I would sit for an hour or so and stuff a carton of tubes. I can't remember where I used to buy the fixings though, and after awhile, the novelty wore off for me.

When this last tax increase went into effect, making smokes $55.00 a carton, I quit smoking and switched to snus and an occasional pipe.

4. IAmTheJody

Bali Shag is no doubt a very fine tobacco. Just too pricey for me for how many cigs you get from a can. I bought 1 can of it and that was it. :happy102

5. IAmTheJody

Yeah, I've got my manual crank machine too. It's been relegated to backup for when the power is out or the electric machine ever breaks. A good and decent electric machine finally hit the market this past year and I got it about 4 weeks ago, the Powermatic II. You still have to stuff the tobacco chamber but no more cranking, and the hand where the two callous' formed from holding the cranking machine sure do appreciate that fact. :happy102

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I tried it when I was younger I had some cheap kit. rolling papers as well. I was a Marlboro Red Guy for the most part.
    quit smoking over 6 years ago.

7. blugill

blugill New Member

Just finished crankin out a pack or so with my T2 "Topomatic's heavy duty chrome one" and enjoying one with a Sammy Adams Winter Lager as we speak. I'll never go back to paying 6 to 8 bucks a pack, now I buy Straight Razors with my savings ! I hate to say it but I like to smoke too.

8. IAmTheJody

lol! Exactly what I said.. I divert all that cigarette money I used to spend... to vintage razors. My crank machine is a Topomatic T1.

9. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

As much as I loved to smoke, I quit in 2004. I do ocassionally bum on of a buddy now and again. I recently bought a pack of my favorites a month or so ago and realized that I didnt like it as much as I do the 9 dollars a day that i save.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When I was buying it, I was getting it for $10.50 a can. I would run out of papers before tobacco. Not sure what it is now, but I imagine it's expensive.

11. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I recently saw what is called a perique bend of tobbacco in which the leaf is hand selected and aged in a Ky bourbon barrel. i would love to try some of that just once.

12. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Hookah anybody?

13. IAmTheJody

Yes, there are several different companies that market a perique blend but all of the perique tobacco in their blends comes from 1 source. Perique tobacco is grown and processd in one place in the whole world (last I heard) and that's in Louisiana. Daughters & Ryan bought the plant down there so they are the sole supplier for the world's perique tobacco. At the time they bought the plant, there was only 1 farm left in Louisiana (therefore the world) that was still growing perique. Now as I understand it, they've gotten several farms there in Louisiana growing it for them again. And like I said, there are different companies that market a perique blend, including Daughters & Ryan themselves - but the perique tobacco in the blends all comes from Daughters & Ryan.

FYI, I've tried the D&R perique blend, called Rimboche' A.P. - it's a blend of flue-cured gold leaf tobacco and perique. Hate it myself. To me, perique stinks something awful. My best friend loves it and won't smoke anything else.

From Wikipedia:
    The tobacco plants are manually kept suckerless and pruned to exactly 12 leaves through their early growth. In late June, when the leaves are a dark, rich green and the plants are 24-30 inches (600 to 750 mm) tall, the whole plant is harvested in the late evening and hung to dry in a sideless curing barn. Once the leaves have partially dried but are still supple (usually less than 2 weeks in the barn), any remaining dirt is removed and the leaves are moistened with water and stemmed by hand. The leaves are then rolled into "torquettes" of approximately 1 pound (450 g) and packed into hickory whiskey barrels. The tobacco is kept under pressure using oak blocks and massive screw jacks, forcing nearly all the air out of the still-moist leaves. Approximately once a month the pressure is released, and each of the torquettes is worked by hand to permit a little air back into the tobacco. After a year of this treatment, the perique is ready for consumption, although it may be kept fresh under pressure for many years. Extended exposure to air degrades the particular character of perique. The finished tobacco is dark brown, nearly black, very moist with a fruity, slightly vinegary aroma.

Often considered the truffle of pipe tobaccoes, perique is used as a component of various blended pipe tobaccos, as many people consider it too strong to be smoked pure. At one time, the fresh and moist perique was also chewed, but none is now sold for this purpose.

Here's a very nice article from Pipes Magazine about the plant, with pictures showing the unique process. The Mark Ryan referred to in the article in he of Daughters & Ryan tobacco.

14. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Used to roll my own years ago with a machine ( name?) from France. I would always roll Old Holborn. That stuff was good. I haven't thought about it for years , now you got me thinking....

Just googled looking for it, I think I'll pass as it's $116.00 a bag now if my calculations are correct, although it still gets prime ratings today. Something doesn't seem right with this picture.

15. IAmTheJody

I see a site selling 10 bags for 89.99 EUR which comes to about $122 - for 10 bags, $12.20 a bag. Shipping would probably raise that to about $15 a bag.

Old Holborn: http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/old-holborn-50g-bags-p-5044.html

Old Holborn Yellow: http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/old-holborn-yellow-50g-bags-p-10412.html

Edit: Their shipping page shows 22.99 EUR shipping for 10 bags of tobacco to USA so total $154 for 10 bags comes to 15.40 a bag.

16. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Saw the price and didn't look further to see just what it was about or how many bags. I used to get it local. I think that's just about 2 oz per bag.
    How many cigs. do you get from say,, an ounce in the machines? in the roller I had ( loose papers) they'd pop out in seconds. It was just fun to watch. Amused many people at the time.

17. IAmTheJody

Not really sure about that. My bags of tobacco come 14 ounces and I get right at 2 cartons, 400 cigs, out of that. That's making sure I don't overstuff my machine and making sure I save what's left in my tray when I'm done.

18. Spy Car

Spy Car Member

You sound just like my father-in-law.

Of course today I'm shaving with his beautiful old Fat Boy, Slim, and Superseed, because he's dead. Killed by the habit he liked so well.

Wise up!

Bill

19. IAmTheJody

Umm, no.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

And we'll stop this here and now, Jody made it abundantly clear in his first post his reasons for smoking, and being an adult the choice is his to make.