Rolls Razor at an Antique Shop Down the Street

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yesterday afternoon I was looking at stuff in an antique shop when I spied a vintage Rolls Razor complete with original flip-box, metal case, and instructions. This is a self-sharpening razor according to the info card. It was on sale for thirty-five dollars. Alas, money is tight this week and I wasn't able to plop down the cash for it. If it's still there when my next paycheck comes, I'll definitely get it.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Shop around. Unless everything is in mint/never used condition, $30 might be a little high. Rolls Razors are plentiful online and can be had for under $10.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree. They are usually all over ebay, for next to nothing.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Check the condition of the stone - very often they're cracked but occasionally you can find one intact.
    The other thing that happens is the handle is seized up and won't turn, so make sure to check that it operates.

5. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Rolls Razors can be excellent shavers (essentially a small section of straight razor) but there are a few items to be aware of when shopping:
    • Cracked hone
    • Dry-rotted strop
    • Very dull blade (will need full honing progression on stones)
    • Rusted or inop handle
    • Functioning strop/hone mechanicals, with proper blade pressure
    Read thru the thread linked below for some more in-depth info on Rolls. Great shavers, fun to use but they often require some elbow grease prior to the first shave.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-what-is-and-how-to-thread-for-the-rolls-razor.22371/