Romer-7 Open Comb Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Dec 30, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I recently picked up a made in India Romer-7 razor on Ebay for $10.98 including shipping. The seller was Atlanta*Trader.
    I enjoy picking up inexpensive razors and trying them in comparison to their expensive counterparts.
    This particular razor is an aluminum alloy construction, traditional 3 piece open long comb razor weighting in at a moderate 1.35 oz. (38 grams) with a 4.75" handle. I liked the long handle and figured if the razor was not good, I could use the handle on some other razor, as it has standard threads and will work on most all razors.

What a pleasant surprise. The razor came with a Topaz platinum blade, and is very nice in appearance with a high gloss chrome finish, gold tipped end cap and very nice deep knurling that is just about right for wet hands when shaving. The head assembly is fairly substantial and thick, and the finish of the open comb is smooth and finished nicely. The only area where the razor shows it low cost heritage is the ends of the top head assembly had some residual machining marks covered by the chrome plating. Overall, the razor has a quality appearance with an excellent fit and finish well above its meager cost. I would gauge the quality about the same as Parker razors, maybe a smidgen less.

After loading an Astra SP and tightening the handle, the blade alignment was perfect and minimal blade exposure and small blade gap (without measuring) appeared to make one believe this razor was going to be a very mild shaver. Balance is excellent and I barely noticed the razor is slightly on the light side. The razor performed beautifully in what I would describe as moderately aggressive. Literally, one pass and some touch-up would have been a solid DFS shave. After two passes and some minimal touch-up in a few problem areas particular to my face, I achieved a shave so smooth I couldn't ever tell I once had whiskers. This razor is super smooth and effective to the extent that it is a pure pleasure to use. I always enjoy finding an eight dollar razor such as this, that performs as well as razors costing many times more.

For those who don't need the expensive brand labeling and just want a beautiful razor that shaves well beyond in station in razordom, this is the perfect tool. I would recommend this razor to anyone.
    $7.99 plus 2.99 shipping for a total of $10.98 is hard to believe. This would be a perfect razor to bring to a friends house and set it down next to his Above the Tie masterpiece, and just for fun say, "mine cost eight bucks and shaves beautifully, how much did yours cost?"
    Romer 7 - 1.JPG Romer 7 - 2.JPG Romer 7 - 3.JPG [ATTACH
    There is what appears to be some residual water droplets on the razor which look like flaws in the finish, but the finish is actually perfect.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    dustmite, RyX, preidy and 5 others like this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The razor head is very similar to the one of three piece Pearl open combs. Technically, even Zamak is an aluminum alloy as the first 'a' stands for aluminum. I suspect this is the normal Pearl open comb head with a custom handle.

Pearl open combs are nice shavers in my opinion.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I agree, I love the open combs also and Pearl products are top notch and under appreciated. I have a number of Pearl razors and they are great shavers. This particular Romer although nice, is lower quality than the Pearls. The finish is not quite as nice as the heavy deep blue/silver chrome on the Pearl's, and the head assembly is not quite as thick and beefy. Definitely not a Pearl, but for $7.99 still very nice and gave a surprisingly smooth close shave. I think I' am going to order another just to have a backup or to give away.

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review!

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice looking razor for eight bucks.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  6. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Absolutely. Especially considering that it's a very smooth medium aggressive shaver. The head assembly alone is worth more then eight bucks and would be nice to pair with some fancy custom handles.
    This razor was one of those unexpected surprises. Many times in this price range I have found the greatest problem with these inexpensive razors is lack of proper blade alignment, so when I pickup one like this, I am always aware that I may be just buying a handle.

AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Nice review @DonMac. I use to do the same (pickup & try inexpensive razors) but now find that I prefer only to keep the good stuff and no longer fret with new cheaper razors.
    Something about a quality vintage or new well made razor (processes, materials, coating etc) that common inexpensive razors can't match. Den space is now a commodity and reserved for only the worthy.
    Continue the fun the variables are vast and exciting.

8. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Either i'm blind or stupid...I can't find the razor on Ebay. Do you have a link or something?

9. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    AGHisBBS and Darkbulb like this.
  10. xplosion79

xplosion79 New Member

Thanks!

The ebay seller have many more Romer razors for sale.
    Got the one yoou mentioned and I am very pleased.

Looks like the buyer ID changed to dealsoftexas

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

They also have a "chrome plated brass" TTO. Sure looks like a gillette type mechanism. Same price range; $11.99 / free shipping / buy it now.
    dealsoftexas 1.jpg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. xplosion79

xplosion79 New Member

Yeah almost dozons of razors and blades.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. xplosion79

xplosion79 New Member

Best of luck with 45 days delivery for couple of dollars saving :D.
    And then returns?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    It's a gamble...some of these China sellers do weekly air shipments to the US. With customs I've gotten items in 3-4 weeks. For the price it's likely worth it. Can't always have your cake and eat it too...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. xplosion79

xplosion79 New Member

Thats exactly my point. Is it worth to take gamble for couple of bucks.

Both the razors are probably made in Asia. One sent from China for $8 and other within the US for $10

Personal experience - i had to return an item and i paid half the amount in sending it back that what i hot refund.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. Kalpit Patel

Kalpit Patel New Member

That was us. Romer-7 is our company. Thanks for the review. We appreciate that.

wchnu and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I. Scored a Romer-7 Tech like razor about a year or so ago when I first noticed them on eBay. I don't remember what I paid, but I think I did get it from Atlanta Trader. It was a very inexpensive razor. It caught my eye due to the cool handle. It turned out to be quite an aggressive razor. Here's a couple of photos -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As Don Mac said of his Open Comb model, this one too can give a one pass DFS. I think it is an attractive razor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalpit Patel, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. Kalpit Patel

Kalpit Patel New Member

Thanks again.