Ronson Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Toomuch40, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted. After my father died many years ago, I found his Gillette Aristocrat rarely used -if at all. It’s my go to razor but I think that I might’ve been a little too aggressive with the cleaning of it so it’s a bit worn and scratched.
    But just a few weeks ago my brother had contacted me to say that he found another one of my dad’s razors- a Ronson Razor Shave and Sharpens. I had read somewhere that people were modifying blades so that they could use it since the blades are no longer available. If anybody knows anything about this and can share their knowledge that would be great. Also I received a Carl Michaels brush that I would like to disinfect. So any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you so much and I would appreciate sone feedback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Toomuch40 likes this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I cant help you with the blade mod. Just had to say that I think those are three beautiful pcs, and you must be proud to own them. Thanks for sharing them here. As far as disinfecting a vintage brush, all I've ever done is soap and water. I suppose you could use an antibacterial soap or some type of vinegar solution. I've been comfy with a warm water soap washing and a dry off period with any vintage brush I've aquired.
    Beautiful pcs...all three.

Toomuch40 likes this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I have a Ronson also but haven't tried to use it yet.
    I found this about blade modification for the Ronson.

This was in the comments:
    "bullriderinwrangler1
    2 years ago
    You're welcome. The Ronson is a fantastic razor, but I wouldn't recommend using the vintage blades. Alternatively, I have used vintage Leresche blades (3 hole blades) and used a dremel tool to cut the notches in the sides to fit the Ronson."
    I think I would prefer the Leresche mod and those are available on eBay.

brit and Toomuch40 like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That Gillette Aristocrat was made sometime between 1948 and 1951. If you want to narrow that range down first thing to look at is the base plate on the side where you load the blade it will either say pat nos on package or pat nos on pkg. If it says package it is 1948 - 1950, if it says pkg then 1950 or 1951. We can narrow it down further from there if it says package you need to look at the style of ring on the base plate where it says pat nos on package they changed the dies in 1949 so if depending the style it will be a 48 - 49 or 49 - 50. If it says pat nos on pkg you need to look on the underside of the baseplate and see if it has a date code or not. They used a letter and number for example W is 1951 and the number would be what quarter of the year it was either 1 through 4. If it has no date code stamps it is a 1950 if it does it is either 1950 or 1951 depending the stamp.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Toomuch40 and brit like this.
  6. Toomuch40

Toomuch40 Active Member

Gillette aristocrat
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/1080468/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.