Rookie Head Shaver

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Williams Warrior, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I want to start shaving my head and I tried it last summer, but it didn't go very well. I tried the proglide but it seemed to skip over the stubble and didn't cut anything. I also tried a DE and that skittered around and left me with scabs on my noggin. What's the secret to this, as the videos on youtube make it look so easy?

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I go with the grain on the first pass, otherwise things get red and painful. Then after that I go across the grain for the second and call it a day. That usually gets my skull BBS without issues. The Proglide works wonders on my head for comfort/closeness, almost as close as a DE or Straight but with less care needed on my part.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, what I did at first was just use my Trac II and made sure the head was level with the skin. Two blades are also used in the HeadShave device so that was what got me going in that direction with my Trac II. In addition I did use a flex arm mirror with my bathroom mirror until I got used to the different angles of holding the razor. Then it was on to DE and Injectors once I had the technique down.

4. Williams Warrior

Just had a nice hot shower soaking my head real good. I did 3 passes with the proglide and even though it's not quite BBS, the results aren't too shabby for a rookie. I'm hoping it'll be an easier shave on Saturday since the stubble will be much shorter. It will take some time with technique to be able to do the back of my head without looking.

BespokeApollo and GDCarrington like this.
  5. BespokeApollo

BespokeApollo New Member

So I've been shaving my head for YEARS and I think that we all start off wounding ourselves! There are a few things that have helped me make the process go-- um-- smoothly. (Please pardon the pun!)
    The products you use are your first step. I like to use a preshave oil (I make my own, it's a mixture of olive & grapeseed oils) and I use a shave soap in a bowl with a brush (I find that it makes the richest lather... No goop in a can for me!) I've heard good things about HeadBlade's HeadSlick, though I've never tried it myself.
    I suggest that for the first couple of times you become comfortable with not having a BBS dome. As you get a better technique (i.e.: no open wounds, lol) you can try some more advanced techniques like blade buffing.
    Hope this helps. Sorry for the long post!

6. Williams Warrior

Forgot to add that I used Headslick.

7. Nolan1982

Nolan1982 Member

I use a good pre shave oil and boar brush/ glycerine soap with a merkur classic or gillette superspeed. I like the superspeed for head shaves because the amount of exposed blade is minimal. Allows me to fly through 2 passes (with and against) very quickly. Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream OR Osage Rub is CHEAP and works great post head shave.

8. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I use what ever DE is in rotation. It took quite a while for my technique to improve and mussle memory to improve. It just takes time and practise. Lots of prep never hurts. I use a beard lifter face scrub on my head works great:happy088:

9. Supreme Escobar

Supreme Escobar New Member

I also just started shaving my head. I cut it really low with my clippers and then used my electric shaver. Outcome was decent, I used a razor once it was horrible. Blood was everywhere. How often can I shave it and do I still use shampoo?

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome. If you shave daily with a razor as many of us do, there is no need for shampoo. If you shave close using clippers but still have some stubble then bar soap should work fine.

Supreme Escobar likes this.
  11. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Shampoo?? have not used any in over 20 years. The money I've saved went into RAD BAD and SAD:happy102:

12. Williams Warrior

My second day in the Sly Guys 30 day regiment. Today I tried using a DE, my Gillette Knack, with a Voskhod. Nicked the back of my head once, but overall not bad, not bad at all. I did order the Headblade ATX today, since that's always been a neat concept to me.

13. Supreme Escobar

Supreme Escobar New Member

I use a electric shaver, Wahl 5 start shaver. Works pretty good.

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The key if you want to make the transition is to find a razor that does not have a lot of blades. I believe the original HeadBlade used a 2 blade Atra cartridge. When I cut mine all the way, I used barbers clippers to get as close as I could, then for a long time did it with a rotary electric for 2 years then I found Traditional shaving almost four years ago. I then started with a Trac II Cartridge and from there I moved up to DE and Injectors and it has been as smooth as a billiard ball on a daily basis.

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm now looking forward to trying out my new Merkur 11C on my dome as soon as it arrives!