Rooney or Shavemac

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Kurt, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

Looking for advice on either a Rooney or Shavemac purchase?

Thanks

Kurt

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Both companies make excellent brushes - are you looking for anything in particular? Rare material of the handle, special shape of the brush?
    Or are you "just" looking for a "normal" shaving brush, in which case I'd recommend a Kent BK4 :D

3. Kurt

Kurt Member

Thanks for reply,

The brush i have now is very fluppy and I was looking for somehting that lathered better. I think I am probably getting 10% out of what a brush should do.

How much is the Kent BK4 and where to purchase?

Thanks

Kurt

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

What kind/brand of brush do you currently have?

A Kent BK4 (or BLK4 - black handle) should set you back 40 English pounds and you can get it at http://kentbrushes.com/

Oh, and be sure to use our coupon-code which will save you 20%

But, before you order, do tell us about your current brush - maybe we can help you with your technique or give you some other advice on how to improve its performance ;)

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Sorry, Klaus, but the discount expired on Jan 1. That's ok though...see below.

Kurt, what brush do you currently use? The Kent line is excellent, but they are rather flexible. Thought I'd warn you in case that's not what you're looking for. Having said that, they all lather extremely well. I have the BK2, 4 and 8 and any of them will create gobs of lather from any soap or cream in my cabinet. Very soft and luxurious too. If, however, you are looking for a stiff, scrubby, dense brush, I would recommend that you look elsewhere.

Kents can be purchased from Kent direct (BK4 or BLK4, $81.20 USD), but The Gentleman's Shop also carries them and appear to have lowered their prices. Now selling for $67.50 US.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=52&cat=Shaving+brushes
    http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Shaving_Brushes.html

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Kurt,

What do you want to use the brush with? Primary soaps or creams or both? face lathering or using a bowl or both?

I have several Shavemacs and a couple Rooneys, they are both great companies and both make great bushes. Did you have any models in mind?

Neale

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I just wanna throw my hat in the ring and say

SIMPSON CHUBBY 2

8. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

I prefer my Shavemac over my Stubby 2 Rooney. The Rooney has a much stiffer feel to it, whereas the Shavemac has a reasonable amount of give without being floppy.

9. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I've not used a shavemac or Rooney..
    For stiffness and luxury I like the Simpson Chubby 1 in Best badger.
    I've not held a chubby 2.

I think the C&E BBB on sale for ~ $25... is still among the BEST all time brushes..
    Tom

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

O, sorry, didn't know about that...

11. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

This gets into personal preference very quickly, but for me the Shavemac was not nearly so satisfactory as the Rooney. I would suggest Rooney Size 1 Super Silvertip in any of the three styles that appeals to you: Style 1, 2, or 3. Style 2 is my favorite, and I eventually got it in Finest.

The Kent BK4 is also a favorite and will produce excellent lather from soap or cream.

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Michael, the BK4 would produce lather from a pot roast!! :D

13. momo360

momo360 New Member

Allow me to also recommend a Saville Row brush, persoanally it is my goto brush. it's very hard to top $115 for a 24mm with that grade of hair.

14. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Wanna take a guess at what my opinion is :rolleyes:

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Vulfix?

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Simpson or Shavemaster? :D

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

LOL, yeah....but it may be a bit greasy :p

18. Kurt

Kurt Member

Brush Info

First off thanks for all the feed back. I have an old bottom of the tank SR. I get vert little lather generation just wipping cream on my face it seems. When I see pics of some these brush's lathering in makes me bummed out so I need something new. The brush will be used for everyday use both creams and soaps.

Also any recomendations on De razors I am leaning towards the Merkur HD but like the EJ alot.

Thanks everyone,

Kurt

19. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Kurt I have the impression that Saville Row brushes are well made and there is a following for them in the shave community.
    Perhaps open yourself up to the idea that it is your lather making technique.

I prefer making lather in a bowl and the bowl allows me to make very small adjustments to water.
    Something to consider. All of my proiblems with making lather have been my own errors in technique...Of course a new brush is an excellent start to this :)
    I am a SIMPSON fan..You can't go wrong with any that tickle your fancy...just as the Rooney would.

Tom

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Personally, I think your choice of brush depends pretty much on how you want it to feel on your face. I have a dozen brushes; from a $35 BBB from Crabtree & Evelyn to an $80 Kent BK4 to a $170 Simpson T2. They all feel somewhat different on my face, but without exception, they all lather both soaps and creams extremely well. Since they all do, as Tom said, I'm wondering if your lather problem is with technique rather than your choice of brush. I don't have a SR, but I do have 4 Kents, 2 Simpsons, 2 EJs and 2 Rooneys, a C&E and an Ever-Ready. I can make gobs of lather with any of them. Care to tell us how you go about making lather?

As for the razor, my favorite is the English Shaving Company's Lined Chatsworth. I love the extra weight and length of it...it's nearly 5" long! That said, it costs over $100 yet has the same head (made by Merkur) as the $30-something HD. Yes, it looks great. Yes it shaves great, but for $30, the HD does the same thing without the cool look.

So, Kurt...how do you make lather?