Rooney Style 3, small in Super

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jramire2, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Just picked up one of these up from another forum.

Hoping since this one is on the smaller side (22mm) w/a relatively middle of the road loft of 55mm (compared to style 1 48mm & 2 60mm) that it will be a better fit than the too big for me AOS silvertip I recently bought and then resold.

Plus, I think this exact model was actually recommended to me by a few other members.

Does anyone have experience w/this exact brush. I've been looking for a brush a little bigger than the AOS starter I have (19mm) that works well both with creams AND soaps.

....hoping this one will fit the bill.

~Joshua

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Hey Joshua....

I've had this brush for a cuppa weeks now and I really like it A LOT !
    Firm (backbone) and soft tips.
    A little scritchy, but I like that.
    The brush does not sprawl out all over my face and I can control it very well.
    I got the faux horn handle and it is bee-u-tiful.
    Great brush.

3. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I think I like the horn better based on photos I've seen, but my faux ivory isn't too shabby either.

This is a great brush, but so far I can only get it to work so so for me w/creams. But this might be due to me not being experienced enough w/a good dense brush. I find that I either need to use a lot more cream, or squeeze the cream out of the brush for my 2nd/3rd passes.

My old AOS starter wasn't nearly as dense, and so the majority of the lather I built would end up staying in the bowl. W/this brush, the lather pretty much gets sucked up into the brush and I have to squeeze it out to the tips to lather up.

Other than that, an excellent excellent brush.

~Joshua

4. rick

Joshua:

How do you build lather using soaps?

Try this:
    1. Drip a cuppa tbsp of hot water on the soap for bout a minute or so.
    2. pour hot soapy water into lather bowl (assuming you use 1)
    3. Shake out brush really well. I like the word "damp"
    4. Take damp brush to soap and build some lather in soap dish
    5. Take hot soapy brush to hot soapy water in lather bowl.
    6. Go crazy.

Use more water and more soap than you think you should.
    Experiment until you find your "sweet spot" ! ;)

5. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I think you may've misunderstood my post, I tend to get great results using this brush w/soaps. I attribute it to this brush having more "backbbone" than my previous floppy brush. A dense/stiff knot, in combination w/the soft tips of super badger hair is a great combo of this brush.

It's creams that I can't get this brush to really excel at. But I'm getting better at it every day that I use a cream.

Thanks for the insight on how you use this for soaps though. My regimen is almost to a "T" the same as yours. I usually don't soak my soaps first though, I'll have to try that.

~Joshua

6. rick

ahhhhh. Guess my coffee hasnt kicked in yet :o
    Creams.
    Might try to build a little PreLather on your face with your fingers.
    Rub it in real good - like and then take your brush to it.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

This is a price (albeit a small one) you pay with dense/luxurious brushes, not sure if there's a way around it.

A really dense brush tends to hold the lather in....now, if the hairs had more flex to them, the lather would be more prone to exiting the breech and getting deposited onto the skin.

Over time, as the hairs soften, this phenom. should lessen. I found this to be true with my SR 3124. It gets better and better :D