Rosacea

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by RaZorBurn123, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have rosacea on my left cheek, it's a small patch right on my cheek bone.
    A lot of times I believe I irritate the area by shaving near the patch. If I don't shave over the area I'd have visible hair.
    I've been using Rosacea gel for a couple of weeks, it helps but I continue to irritate the area.
    No way will I grow a beard to rectify the problem..
    Does anyone have Rosacea? And if so what is your treatment if any.
    Thanks in advance
    K

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I know a guy who has rosacea and he says his dermatologist told him to use an electric razor. His beard is very tough but he seems to get good shaves. At least he's satisfied.

RaZorBurn123 and Shave Fu like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Kerry, I have been using unrefined shea butter for several years in my aftershave routine. It's a great moisturizer, and it soothes skin irritation. My sister-in-law loves it for sunburned skin. I don't have rosacea, but I've read that it helps with that as well. I purchase it on Amazon. A little goes a long way. A 16 oz. tub lasts me well over a year, so it's very economical. Downsides, just so you know: it can be greasy if you use too much, and it has sort of a nutty smell.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Hello, although not a dermatologist, for what i know:
    1) You can't just ask the others what their treatment is. Rosacea is chronic inflammation, that has subtypes. The treatment varies according to subtype, which the dermatologist must recognize. Also sometimes, there are systemic treatments, depending on the diagnosis.
    2) Dermatologists, in all occasions that skin gets irritated, prefer electric razors than blades, like crackstar said and when they can't, they reccommend against ATG shaving, because it's closer.
    3) Usually, the general tactic for all, is avoid stress (physical or emotional), avoid the sun or use sunscreen. In your shaving, avoid as much as you can perfumes and synthetic substances. Try to find soap with as much as natural ingredients as possible.

P.S: I forgot: Only use non alcohol based aftershave.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 and crackstar like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have rosacea, and I agree with @Shave Fu - what works for me may not work for you.
    Having said that, I find that I'd I wash my face with a tea tree or calendula soap (body shop and kiehls have them) and use a tea tree cream - my favorite is from WSP - it helps reduce the redness and flakey skin. I also seem to get better results from non alcohol aftershaves.
    Please keep us posted along your journey.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried "Bump Fighter" carts? Most stores carry them. They are supposed to give a more gentle shave. The carts will fit a Trac2 handle. They may help lessen the irritation.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks everyone. Yes or course what works for you may not for me, seeing unrefined Shea butter as a possible aid is the type of information I'm looking for.
    I have some and will try, using an electric razor is not an option for me.
    I can avoid using alcohol aftershaves on the area.
    Just by starting the conversation can be helpful for me and anyone else with Rosacea.
    I will take all of your suggestions into consideration and apply then into my routine when applicable.
    My PCP suggest the rosacea gel.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

You are right about starting the conversation - thank you for that!
    I found the gel (metrogel?) to dry out my skin, so I got the cream version instead, and that worked pretty well.

9. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

The Calendula, mentioned previously, is not a pharmaceutical product, it's a herbal product, but if you find a cream with a good formulation, you can try it for when you are not using the medical treatment. I don't know if it works, as calendula isn't strictly speaking "medical treatment" nor a "traditional medicine drug", but i know that such creams exist and generally Calendula is known for soothing skin properties and is used from herbalists also again skin burns. So, you could try to see if it is of any help, i don't think it will do damage.