Route 66-A Winner for Me!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Bobcat, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just finished my third shave with the new Route 66 shaving soap using three different brushes. I bought a jar of the Bourbon Jungle (this scent will become one of my favorites). It lathered very easily with all the brushes. A twenty second load gave me more than enough thick, slick, cushioning lather for 3+ passes. Kathy has been making soaps for over ten years and just started producing shaving soaps. This line will be a winner!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

If Bob says its good.....then it must be good!

Any hints on possible scent comparisons? I'm a fan of the post shave feel from lanolin. Thanks for the review Bob. I will add this to my wish list.

Kokak, BigMark83, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs154:

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

JR-The closest I can come to a scent comparison is Rustic's Mahogany. They are very similar to me. It is hard to describe. Here is Kathy's Bourbon Jungle description:
    "Rich woody notes of Italian Bergamot, Apple Wood and Tonka Bean rounded by hints of Patchouli, Cedarwood, and Oakmoss, with exotic notes of Cardamom, Vanilla Bourbon and Allspice."

Kokak, Boojum1, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've used Bourbon Jungle only once so far and I'm becoming a fan for sure. Interestingly, tho, I get a note of "evergreen" which I quite like.

Kokak, Boojum1, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That's exactly the soap that came to mind when I saw the scent description. Thanks for the info Bob.

7. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Very kind of you to post this Bob! So glad you are enjoying it...happy shaving!

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Just finished my second day with Route 66.

Flawless soap.

That is all. Carry on. :happy088:

Kokak, wristwatchb, Joef and 8 others like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Awhile back I was asked and given the opportunity to be a tester for these shaving soaps. I tested several of Salty Belle's Shaving Soaps. I have a lot of different soaps, and I will say this under no uncertain terms Kathy knows what she is doing making these soaps. I like Stirling Soaps, I like VDH Shaving Soaps, I like Williams Shaving Mug Soaps. I also like Tiki Bar Shaving Soaps and aftershave and etc. etc.

I really feel that Route 66 Shaving Soaps are one of the best Shaving Soap if not the best. The prices are Great they do not rip you off on the price. I received a container of the A Perfect Gent Shaving Soap in the mail yesterday. I am not getting paid to endorse or say anything about the soaps that Kathy makes.@Salty Belle But you can rest assured you will get your money's worth in these products. I bought a couple of other brand shaving soaps, and I paid thru the nose for this one puck of soap. It was a refill not a puck of soap with any thing special container but it was a rip off on the price. (I do not want to start a (p%$&# contest) It is and was not worth what I paid for it. I bought a Williams Shaving Mug Soap refill puck and for less than a dollar (as a close out item) and bottom line the Williams Shaving Mug Soap lathers far better than the almost $25.00 unnamed soap.
    I have tested a lot of soaps for Kathy and I would say that her soaps are well worth the price she sells them for. I need to get some more of her shaving soaps, so in a couple of weeks I am going to put in an order. I will highly recommend Route 66 Shaving Soaps.

Kokak, Paul Turner, RetLEO-07 and 9 others like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I received a surprise early Christmas gift from @Douglas Carey (unless it was meant to be sent to someone else?) Wasn't expecting it, but happy to receive it.

He picked Lumberjack for me, appropriate, since I live in Oregon. It's very fragrant. From the website: "...With notes of fresh pear and pineapple, mid notes of juniper berries and eucalyptus; and well rounded base notes of spruce woods, Douglas fir, cedar and white musk."

Sniffing the cake, the top and mid notes jump right out and say hello. I can't smell the base notes. I expect they will make their presence felt during my morning shave tomorrow.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Doug, for this delightful and unexpected Christmas gift.

Kokak, Jorvaljr, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good post @Bobcat. I am interested to know what your thoughts are on the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum and how it compares with the Gillette Platinum?

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Hard to pick which one of the Route 66 soaps I enjoy the most. At present I would say Bourbon Jungle would be right up there. Perfect Gent, Frozen Margarita, Barbershop Hop are others that I have tried and very much like.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Kokak, wristwatchb, Boojum1 and 6 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great reviews guys! You've convinced me where to get my next soap. It's great to have so many options as well as so many enablers:)

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Route 66 has fast become one of my favorite soaps. everything about this shave soap is very good. the performance is outstanding. the scents are very pleasing. the packaging make it easy to use right from the container. the orders arrived quickly. the service was completely personable. and she's right here as a denizen.
    from start to finish, Route 66, is a big hit with me. these soaps are quickly taking over the top spot in my collection.
    in all fairness, the only shortcoming is that the scents are so nice that one hates to cover them with other aftershaves. a problem that she is working to overcome.

@Salty Belle very well done, thank you.

wristwatchb, Joef, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The latest (soon-to-be-released) scent, "Cavendish" was a pleasant surprise! 'Tobacco/woodsy' and very appealing! One of those soap fragrances that actually had my wife singing it's praises post-shave. :love055:
    [​IMG]

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Doug-The nod goes to the 7 O'Clock Blue. Both are in my Top 5 Blades.

Boojum1, Salty Belle and clint64 like this.
  17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I just received a tub of Lumberjack as a gift from @Douglas Carey. I'm looking forward to giving it a try later this morning.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You are in for a real treat. Be sure to post up your thoughts.

19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Well, it was a treat. Dare I say it? It was nearly as easy to lather as Klar Kabinett. I really enjoyed this!

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

What are your top 5 blades.