Rubberset 200-3 knot advice, please.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Jan 25, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if these handles are hollow and have a hole under the knot, i.e. Can I drill straight through the old rubber glue? I've trimmed the old knot off and have attacked it with a 12v rotary tool. When I say attacked, it was more of an amble :)
    image.jpeg

brit and TitanTTB like this.
  2. dangermouse

The old knot is out :) A wild fanfare plays in the background! My goodness, it was a tough one; when the say Rubber SET, they are not kidding. I'm very pleased with myself.

I'm all set to polish now. Slowly does it but I'm going to go from 400 grit, wet and dry through to 5000 grit then some plastic polish then some carnuba car wax (maybe). This is very exciting. I have to choose and order a knot now. I'll be measuring the ferrule later, to be sure I get the right size.

Can I use any white cellulose paint on the rubber? I have a can of smooth white Metal paint. Thanks for everyone's help, so far. I love our hobby!

TitanTTB likes this.
  3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got the knot out.
    The letters look pretty deep so it should take paint well. I've used both acrylic paint and testors enamel paint on different restores and both have held up well.

AussieTanker and dangermouse like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, those knots were set with vulcanized rubber.

And yes, the 2mm rule applies to synthetic knots as well.

HoosierTrooper and dangermouse like this.
  5. dangermouse

Waiting for the knot. This is how it looks, so far. I am quite pleased
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The original knot was seated at the level of the bottom of the inner metal ring. There were also vertical cracks in the top of the ferrule; I had to sand them out.

brit, jimjo1031, MObigfoot and 4 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

MObigfoot and dangermouse like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is turning great. Super job. Looking forward to seeing it all done.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dangermouse and MObigfoot like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just scored myself a Rubberset 200-4. I will be going thru this thread for guidance. I would like to replace it with Boar. Does anybody know what the loft was on the 200-4. Also what type of tip did it have?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit, dangermouse and mrchick like this.
  9. dangermouse

I used an 'o' ring, around the base of the knot and pushed it into the ferrule to test the height, that alone was nearly enough to hold the knot. I set it high on purpose; I like the way the brush widens. It is a very soft knot though.
    image.jpg

Enrico, brit and mrchick like this.
  10. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

I too just picked one of these up (eBay) and it will need a new knot installed. After reading about how difficult it is to remove old knots on this model, perhaps I might have this done by professionals w/ correct tools for the job. I know Rubberset is an old company but don't have idea as to the year of this make... the printing of the word "Sterilized" suggests later than 1921 due to anthrax scare. s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Enrico, jimjo1031, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

this is mine.it was restored with an omega boar knot,and weighted. ask Keith @Enrico
    20220703_080610_edited.jpg

Old_Spice and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

all I use is a Stanley utility knife to cut the bristles even with the ferrule and a rotary tool to remove the rest of the knot from the inside.

brit likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

My Rubberset 200-2 which I restored a while back and use at times...............
    20220703_112154.jpg

brit and Old_Spice like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool.was the -2,-3,-4 etc the knot size ,or brush shape? some look slightly different shape wise.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

from what I've read, it's the diameter size and loft. the 400's it was the loft

Old_Spice and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

ok, thank you.good to know.:):eatdrink047:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

and the end result .............. thumbnail-2.jpg

brit and jimjo1031 like this.