Rubberset 49-4 Restoration

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by figment714, Feb 11, 2015.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Back in early November, Guy (@ram57) posted a photo in the weekly Shave of the Day thread that contained a great looking, wood handled brush with a large badger knot. In the post, he identified the brush as a Rubberset 49-4 with a 28mm HMB knot. At the time, I commented on its beauty, saying that it reminded me of a well-worn leather chair. Over the following few days I kept returning to Guy's post to have another look at the brush. I finally realized that I had to have one like it. After some further thought, I knew that just simply buying one wouldn't do, I had to RESTORE one myself to fully appreciate the brush.

Off to 'the Bay' I went, getting outbid on several nice candidates until I just decided to bid high, and finally won a 49-4 with an astronomical bid of $4.50. It was all in one piece, and in reasonable shape as evidenced by the photo below. The old, boar knot was a fraction of its original size and stiff as a board. The black collar was full of micro-factures that under magnification reminded me of a dry, cracked Texas dirt field, a few weeks after a summer rain. The wood handle was covered in years of greasy grime and chipped in a few areas near the base and collar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The restoration proved to be easier than I expected. My dremel and pocket knife quickly removed what was left of the old knot, leaving a clean socket that was lined with a brass ring supporting the full height of the black collar. I wet sanded the outside of the collar as best as I could to remove the micro-fractures, but had to compromise somewhat and stop short before sanding through the lettering on the front of the brush. I sanded the wood handle smooth and successfully filled the chips, finishing with 400 grit sandpaper. Two coats of Minwax stain (Ipswich Pine) and several of semi-gloss spar urethane left the handle ready for a new knot.

I decided to go with a badger knot from The Golden Nib, and since we are both located in the same area, I was lucky enough to be able to visit their shop to review a number of different knots to select the one that I liked. The brass ring inside the handle's collar measured 27mm in diameter, so I chose a bulb shaped, 26mm TGN 2-band Finest. To complete the restoration, I placed two commemorative Arizona quarters under the knot to establish the desired loft and glued everything together with Devcon 5-minute epoxy.

Rubberset 49-4 Final Specs -
    Total Height: 142mm
    Handle Height: 88mm
    Knot: TGN 2-band Finest, bulb 26mm
    Loft: 54mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the look of the brush, and have a deeper appreciation for it because I gave it new life myself. It's my first full restoration, but it won't be my last. I had a lot of fun with the process. Thanks for the inspiration, Guy!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work! Enjoy!

figment714 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding. :signs107:

figment714 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    N I C E . . .
    Love it. Great job.

figment714 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Outstanding! I love it!

figment714 likes this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic Job :eatdrink047:

figment714 likes this.
  7. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :)

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That old warhorse has another 100 years of life left now because of you!

figment714 likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Man, that is one nice brush!

I like the longer handles.

:happy096:

figment714 likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Awesome save. To be honest, I wouldn't have even tried but I'm sure glad that you did. Great job!

PanChango and figment714 like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice work. I like that it still has some character.

figment714 and battle.munky like this.
  12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver