Rubberset

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Luteplayers, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I've got a Rubberset. I think its a 200-2 I'll have to post a pic when I get back home. I tried using it yesterday and it is clear that it isn't any good for me in its current state.

I'm wondering if there is any reason not to remove the knot and replace it with a TGN.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Nope, no reason at all. It's quite fun and easy actually.

entropy1049 likes this.
  3. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

No reason at all if you plan on using it. If it is for decoration or something it wouldn't be necessary. But since you plan on using it I would put a nice knot from TGN in it.

4. Luteplayers

Cool, I'll have to strip it out and get a TGN knot for it. I have a handle from Oscar11 that I have already put a knot on, so I'm not as hesitant this time.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Be careful, brush restoring and making becomes an addiction! Such a sweet addiction! :bounce015:

Talneharus likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It is fun, isn't it?

7. Luteplayers

I've got the old knot trimmed down, now to break out the dremel and remove it completely and find out what size knot I need to order.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have a little secret ... go get a Dremel 115 bit. When you bore a hole big enough with a drill bit, you will find that you can go down into the hole and let the teeth on the 115 do the hard work. That is what I use on old knots, then you can sand with the sanding drum or polish wheel to finish.

[​IMG]

BigMark and Luteplayers like this.
  9. Luteplayers

Thanks for the tip. I will have to pick up one those. I'm pretty sure this won't be my last brush reknot.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's rewarding to take a piece of shaving history and make it functional again

Luteplayers and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Luteplayers

I still need to get a knot, the calipers say just a hair over an inch, so I'm thinking 24mm. I picked up some Meguiar's PlastX after seeing the results @Rustym got with it. Filled the handle with some BBs and silicone to add some weight. I like a heavier brush. The lettering color was non existent so I rubbed in some white paint. Still need to pick up one of those Dremel 115 bits too. Sorry for the bad cell phone picture. I'll take some proper pics after I get the knot in it.
    [​IMG]

12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I've had good results using a rotary rasp to similar effect, but I'll give the 115 a go in the future as well. "High Speed Cutter" just sounds too good to resist! :chores016:

Luteplayers likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Man, you are having too much fun. Good job. I hope you have great success.

Luteplayers likes this.
  14. Luteplayers

So I got my TGN 24mm 3 Band Finest in the mail yesterday, and have picked up one of those "High Speed Cutters". Loft is set at 50mm or as close as I could get it with my inches caliper to measure with. Just epoxied it in place. On the rotation schedule for Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]

Talneharus, Zykris, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  15. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Wow! That came out great. I have a olive handle on the way and will be using some of your tips when I get a knot for it. I like to have some weight in the handle also. Great job.:eatdrink047:

Luteplayers likes this.
  16. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice work, enjoy

Luteplayers likes this.
  17. Luteplayers

Shaved with the Rubberset this morning. I enjoyed it, there is a bit of a scent that a few shaves should mellow out. I need to remember what type of knot I put in my Oscar11 handle. I think it was a stuffed grade A from TGN. This knot isn't as full as I like them. I will probably end up giving it to a friend I'm trying to convert.

Now that I have that Dremel 115 I just removed the old knot from a smaller green and white Buffalo brand brush. Took no time at all. Now I need a 22mm from TGN. This is addicting isn't it?

ETA - It was a Grade A Silvertip, just ordered another one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Zykris, Bristle Me and maltedmilk like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Found this at the fleamarket this morning:
    IMG_0920.JPG
    It has the number "303" on the base. Cleaned it with some baby shampoo and very careful strokes with a toothbrush. Rinsed it out really good and it's now hanging in my brush stand. Lost 3 hairs when I cleaned it. Gonna take it for a test ride in the morning.

19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I have a really nice tiny Rubberset that punches way above its weight class. It's the small third from the left on the top shelf.

[​IMG]

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Okay guys, anybody have an idea how old this brush is? I'm thinking '50's.
    IMG_0920.JPG

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.