"Russia" Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert1955, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Are all Russia strops horse, I have a vintage Rubin strop made in NY USA, it says Russia in big bold letters, the back of the strop is Red and not like my other strops ie: Suede.
    How can you tell if a strop is horse or Cowhide... tia

kjbarth and Keithmax like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Okay let me see if I can get this right

It is my understanding that the Russian Strop is referencing the "Finish" on the strop ie; a Russian uses the Napped side of the strop and is usually "Cut" or stripped on the backside to make it more flexible
    It is designed to be a Medium Heavy Draw

Now that being said I also heard that the "Russia" strops were first made from Horse Shell only, and the Cowhide was only introduced later

I hope that helps because it is all I got :)

3. Robert1955

That's excellent info, clears up a lot...especially the back of the strop being different so many thanks for that. I was beginning to wonder why there were no replies, I am still a noob (1 year into straights) and I thought my question would be flooded with replies...so maybe not so many knew this. I still watch your vids and have learnt loads from them, so thanks for that too and keep up the good work .

gssixgun, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    'Russia' can also refer to the tanning process, and would refer to vegetable tanned leather using birch, alder, hemlock, etc. rather than oak tanned leather. Russian tannning is faster than regular veg tanning, and strips out more oils, resulting in a harder leather. It also tends to die the leather a reddish color.

Unless marked otherwise, assume all vintage strops to be made from shell leather (horsehide).

Edit: the fact that the back of the strop doesn't show grain (suede) and is smooth is also an argument for the strop being shell. Shell, strictly speaking, is leather, but isn't made from hide. It is made from the thin layer of muscle on a horse's hindquarters. The lack of drafthorses used in farming has dried up the supply of shell horsehide in the size and thickness required for the best strops (3+ inches wide and 4+mm thick). A vintage shell strop is easily the equivalent of a $200-300 modern shell strop.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Robert1955, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pictures of the Strop would help with identification, evaluation, and increase responses.

Robert1955, PLANofMAN and Karl G like this.
  6. Robert1955

Thanks planofman, more great info, the leather does feel hard, I have given it 2 coats of mink oil gently heated with a hairdryer then left to soak overnight in a warm room, next day removed the excess and let it hang...there was a definite improvement so done the process again, and again i felt a improvement in the hardness/ suppleness so I gave it a good rub out with a microfibre cloth then a soft cloth and finally rubbed it vigorously over my knee/ denims, this worked well too, so I had two blades needing a good strop and gave them each 100 laps, the blades prolly need a wee bit on a stone to bring them back, but the strop did feel a kinda middle to heavy draw compared with my main strop...it is defo heavier than that, I think it may need some time to settle but I am for now happy with it, thanks again for the replies guys .

Keithmax likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Be careful with mink oil. Most are blends, containing mink oil, silicone, and lanolin. Silicone drys out leather.

My personal preference is Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam, which is a combination of coconut oil, beeswax, and lanolin. The beeswax slows down the zippy fast draw to something a little more manageable.

Other folks have their own preferred leather dressing. I've never heard of anyone ruining a strop over time with any of the things you can put on a strop, so it probably doesn't matter.

Keithmax and Robert1955 like this.
  8. Robert1955

I will likely buy something better soon.

9. Robert1955

10. Robert1955

Some quick snaps 644733EE-8ADA-4551-BA41-21D96CFB1DED.jpeg D84B1237-7E22-4706-B9F8-8B572CE45D32.jpeg CBC85ECB-8C78-4F01-AC50-DFB17EAA273C.jpeg 644733EE-8ADA-4551-BA41-21D96CFB1DED.jpeg D84B1237-7E22-4706-B9F8-8B572CE45D32.jpeg CBC85ECB-8C78-4F01-AC50-DFB17EAA273C.jpeg

11. Robert1955

The rear fotos do not really show how red the rear is...it looks browny red on here, but is really quite a vibrant red

Keithmax and brit like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The cloth strop looks like linen. Nice!
    Edit: Nice restore on the strop. That leather was looking rather cracked where it hasn't been sanded down.

brit likes this.
  13. Robert1955

It was, there were quite a few scattered all over so i used 400, 800 and 1200, I could have got more dirt out but I felt it may have taken more of the leather than I wanted, the linen strop was really filthy but came up ok, I will give if a wash in the dishwasher next then put some white paste on it.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Robert1955 likes this.
  15. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a vintage NOS from the USA, I like mine so much I sold my Kanayama, it has a beautiful draw a medium-fast draw love the feel and surface of that strop, I also really like the linen component.

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

DSC_0520.JPG