Rust

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

My friend gave me a Vincent DE that needs some cleaning. What's the best way to remove rust from the head of the razor?

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Spray some wd-40 on it. Let it sit for a few minutes then brush it off with a toothbrush and clean it off thoroughly before you use it. You don't want the wd-40 to contact your face.

3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Dave, get some Never Dull Cotton wadding. It's great for cleaning and polishing plated metal. Automotive part stores, and hardware stores have it. I've even seen it at Walmart.

Clayton

Dave Paskowski likes this.
  4. Dave Paskowski

I have some Never Dull I'll give it a try. Never thought about using it on this. Thanks guys.

5. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

No problem Dave, glad I could help.

Clayton

6. Grant

Grant Active Member

Isn't the rust just from an old blade left in the razor ?

7. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Likely so, but it still has to be removed.

8. Dave Paskowski

The Never Dull has removed most of it but there's still some left. I think maybe a toothbrush and some type of polish or cleaner might do the trick.

9. Grant

Grant Active Member

In this case I use a fine nylon bush on a dremel tool .

10. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

If you use a dremel, be careful not to apply too much pressure. You don't want to remove the plating. Couple that with the WD-40 and you should knock it out.

11. GlennConti

Yeah, I'm with Raven312. Be careful with the power tools. If you need more umphf than just WD-40, try steel wool before you go to the power tools.

Edit: There are various grades of steel wool. Super fine, very fine, fine, etc. Go with the finest you can get is my suggestion; it is cheap stuff too.

12. Dave Paskowski

OK I think I got it all. I used the Never Dull and then took Turtle Wax Polishing Compound a soft toothbrush and a cotton rag to it. Cleaned up right nice, except for some dark spots where the plating has came off.

Raven312 likes this.
  13. Raven312

Pics or it didn't happen!! :pics::happy102:

Doryferon likes this.
  14. Dave Paskowski

OK, I don't have pics for this one. I do believe however I just found a new obsession. I know I have a new obsession I'm going to start refurbishing and cleaning old razors. Now to let the wife know. :Animatedfrozensmily:

15. Raven312

I totally understand that obsession! I did a few of them; it was so much fun and very rewarding bringing something that was older than me up to a condition that was unbelievable for its age. Now I do brushes...

16. mce00771

mce00771 Member

How do you get all of the WD-40 off of the razor to make it shave ready again? I have some rust I would like to remove, but I don't want WD-40 on my face.

17. GlennConti

Don't use too much WD-40 of course. WD-40 is removed completely with Acetone (Nail polish remover). Acetone is removed completely with water. (Be aware acetone can also remove paint. Be careful or you'll have to repaint your numbers, etc.)

18. Grant

Grant Active Member

When you use a nylon brush it burns the brush before you can cause any plate loss

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I wouldn't say I get WD40 on my face all the time but it does happen occacionally in my workshop. Never had an issue. Also WD40 is used in the kitchen on all the stainless steel surfaces.

On a razor I'd just wash it off with water and soap and be done with it. No reason to fret about it IMHO.

20. Raven312

Regular wash with dishwashing liquid should do it.

tuxxdk likes this.