Bloomers without Borders (Bw/oB)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by RyX, May 12, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do that, too.

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

I have a feeling I repeated myself saying that.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs002:...............................yes.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

In the latest "I'd lather be shaving" episode it was asked in the comments "Blooming soaps.... Good or evil?" to which Douglas Smyth replied:

Most confuse “soaking” a soap with Blooming, a term I coined a few years back. Blooming is about heating the soap in an effort to Boost or Bloom the fragrance. Done right, this will fill up a bathroom as if you lit a candle! There are a few methods of blooming but often folks only confuse it with “soaking” an old school barber technique done to soften hard soaps. If you are interested in learning more about Blooming and how to do it the way I intended it to be done, check out my channel for a couple different vids. Dry Blooming and Wet Blooming are very effective and which one you choose to use will be dictated by the soap and personal preference.

Here are those two videos:

Edison Carter, brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't know Mr Smyth, but if he claims to be the originator of Blooming let's go with it. Being a cool/cold water shaver I've yet to experience the full range of scents from any of my soaps. Seems I'm just a "soap soaker" and have mistaken his term for something entirely different. Hurmph.

I'll go back and listen to the first video again, but at 3/4's speed to separate some of his too quick delivery. This time I'll just listen. I had a hard time taking him seriously as he Captained his hot tub. I do appreciate the idea of giving a weeks use of a product before offering a review.

Thank you Andrew, for bringing this to our attention. We may have to rename our Group.

Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Over my dead body. I was using the term before he stopped wetting the bed. ;)

Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I see no need for an FBI investigation. The matter is resolved due to precedent. As per our President's Executive Order; "Soap Bloomers" stands.

Paul @Paul Turner - you may stand down as there will be no tie votes today.

8. Paul Turner

Man, I was ready to break it.

Edison Carter, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)

Edison Carter, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll assume you'd vote Party line? Although Joseph is Prez for Life, you do stand in succession should he be unable to fulfill his duties.

11. Paul Turner

Right, I'm just your normal Veep.

Edison Carter, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Whew, for a minute there I thought we might have to re-listen to the chorus of the unenlightened shave brumbies calling everyone who likes wet soap lather a sissy again.

:taunt002:

13. Paul Turner

I performed a healthy bloom last night of the soap I used this morning(British Racing Green from Deluxe Shaving. I'd like to think it led to the dolphin-fine..er damn-smooth shave I had :).

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Paul - you are playing The Long Game! Most of my blooms are only minutes before I make lather. Rarely using the same soap back to back shaves lets them dry out. Your procedure ought to give the Soap Minimalist's view of a well hydrated puck.

How was the lather?

15. Paul Turner

I liked it.....this is the company that has listed many of its soaps as "Sold Out" including the one I want after finishing this PIF gift. Actually, I "bloom" my brush right before the shave begins. (Maybe we ALL do THAT, though). But Deluxe makes a nice soap. Lanolin, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and "Silk Fibres" are among the features.(Sorry, @RyX, I should have been more detailed, but you liked what I said anyway :).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Last I checked everything said sold out. The site is still there, but no one is home.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Well, shux.....I guess I'll have to finish what I have and hope for better news then.

18. Paul Turner

Nah, we don't have to................what you said :).

Edison Carter likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

I find it hard to learn from someone who talksfastlikeSmitty.

RyX likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

I think I could follow him best at 16 speed.