Bloomers without Borders (Bw/oB)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by RyX, May 12, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

A couple soaps I'd like to buy next year are described as being pretty "milled", thus I'd need to do a lot of blooming. I already experience this with the RazoRock 3x milled Lime Burst,-bring on the blooming :).

brit, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, I'm glad you tried this soap Paul! Any particular aftershave you've used to compliment the scent? Both Pinaud Lime Sec & Citrus Musk are working for me.

brit, Paul Turner and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Paul Turner

I don't have either...yet....but let's see, I think I've used-well, another Clubman(the Gent's Gin), and Mennen Skin Bracer with it.

brit, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Gonna need to bloom the WSP soap I have coming up after the Stoylin. (It's Lee's Mahogony, but all his soaps require frequent blooming, I'd say).

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Require? Not at all. I never have.

6. Paul Turner

I suppose "recommend" would have been better. For "flat" soaps like that. can the brush still load with no problem?(A moist brush, that is).

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Dunno. I only load rock hard milled soaps. Anything softer, like WSP, I scoop some and smear it on the bottom of my bowl.

RyX likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Good point-the 3x milled soaps are harder, but I'd say WSP isn't far behind.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can't quite agree that WSP Soaps are close to being firm, as a triple-milled soap. IMO, WSP is a firm croap, "scoopable", as @Frijolero mentions. Can't "scoop" a DRH, MWF, Williams or Dusy, or Czech & Speake. Those soaps are rock hard. But I am of the opinion, except for a cream, any soap is fair game for "blooming".

RyX likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i just received the lime burst soap..will try the lime sec.. i have the tobs #74 lime cologne. would pair well also..

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

It's just that I recall having used the old WSP Sandalwood I had many times without scratching the surface. I do have to admit though, that I've become a better loader since then. Even so, some blooming might help me with it.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I may stir up trouble over in The Barbasol Brotherhood, but I post-hydrate canned Arctic Chill shave cream. I find it a bit fluffy straight from the can. After shooting a blob into my shave bowl I punch it down with my brush. After it's deflated adding a little water makes for a slicker lather. It's a fine tuning maneuver that gives me my best service from that 100 year old product.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :smiley respect:

RyX likes this.
  14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I suspect that there were a few laughs at my Custom Title assignment after espousing the benefit of the same finding.

Those that are truly Brothers of the Barbasol would certainly be closed minded to reject adding a little water.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  15. Paul Turner

To me, Barbasol IS water. (Course they add the cream).

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

They proceed in a Brotherhoodly way. Barbasol be thy name gets a disdainful down the nose look from haute savonnage Artisan soapers. Sort of a Dick Van Dyke - chimney sweep vibe in a friendly non-offensive group.

Different from the mean street that gestated SBOA. This is not a safespace for Bloomers. It's a High Ground from which to share the better way.

Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i like the lime sec, tobs 74 , rr essential lime. and italian citrus..loves the skin bracer..

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

If it's the same stuff, I think I found a tiny sample bottle of Fine Italian Citrus. Ought to give that another sniff!

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

thats the one,love that scent..

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

By chance that any of those misguided individuals (who miss the great benefit of having enough water for shaving) show up to renew their dead, dry soap name-calling, I have been shaving 95% of the time with straights since July 1.

Not because they called us sissys, but the same reason I sufficiently wet soap, because I want to.

Just a little question, if bowls are for soup, what are mugs for?

RyX likes this.