Sad, sad day

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by barbersurgeon, Mar 11, 2016.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I had the sad experience of taking my dad's truck away from him today. He's in his eighties, and should not be driving anymore. But still was difficult. My car has some trouble, so used it as a reason to take the truck he offered me a few months back.

The circle of thoughts today was lifetime experience kind of thing.. Thinking of pulling out of the driveway as a teen, as a young driver, with my parents thinking of me as a capable young person, while I personally was questioning my new found responsibility. To today leaving my dad essentially marooned, without the basic freedom he has enjoyed all his life.

The look of surrender on his face as I pulled away was one of the most difficult moments I can remember.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It's sad. I agree with you, but it's for his own sake and for his health perhaps. Let him be well. :)

3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Recall when the cops did that to neighbor. Your option is more personal and kinder. Both my parents still drive for now.

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

As someone who was left with no other choice than to commit my father to an ALF less than a year ago I sympathise with you @barbersurgeon :(

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I hope I have the sense to allow my son to do the same for me when my time comes.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thankfully my older brother dealt with that issue. He was a little more sly about it; he blew the motor in his car, then promised to be the taxi service.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Yes, that is sad, but at least it sounds like he recognized he shouldn't be driving.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    crackstar and barbersurgeon like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It is indeed a difficult decision for an adult child of an elderly parent. I've been through it with both mine.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's for the best.

RaZorBurn123 and barbersurgeon like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That's rough. Even though it's is the best thing to do, it had to be hard. Best wishes.

12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the support guys...

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Although hard you did the right thing. I hope this will give you more reason to visit with dad as much as time will allow.

barbersurgeon and Robyflexx like this.
  14. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Sorry to hear about it but I am glad it worked out and it is definitely for the best. As Kerry (@RaZorBurn123) said definitely use it to visit and spend quality time with your dad!

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It was a rough day, but you did the right thing. I can tell you love your dad deeply. God's blessings to you both!

16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A very difficult situation. I wish you the best and your Father's understanding.