Sad Story

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IsaacRN, Sep 20, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well,

Im back home for a wedding for a few days. I talked with my grandfather about straight shaving. He had what i assumed was a Dubl Duck when I was a kid. I remember he use to shave all the boys sideburns when we asked him to. It was a great treat. Last year I had told him I was interested in shaving and he bought be a DOVO. It wasnt shave ready, and i hadnt found all these wonderful websites, so i went into a bin not to be touched till yesterday.

I proceeded to ask him if he had his razor and he told me it was lost in various moves. I asked him if he knew what kind of razor it was and he said "It was a Dubl Duck. Great razor." I was so happy that my purchase on ebay was the same as his razor. I proceeded to ask him if he use to hone and various other shaving questions. He told me he use to hone his razors with his dads stone. He couldnt tell me what stone it was exactly.

I had wanted to get him either a straight/DE pack for Christmas. I was so excited about this proposition. I sprung the question and asked him. His reply was " Nope, I like todays razors. They are much quicker and a lot less work." Boy that was a shot to the heart. Its not like he didnt know what great shaves were out there. I kinda felt sad..haha. Oh well, Ill just continue on my path and hopefully get my brother and eventually any kids i have into this marvelous old time tradition.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

When you reach a certian age it's kinda like - "been there, done that".
    Just relish in the fact that he does know what you are talking about, can discuss it with you and may be able to share some advice once in a while.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Cheer up. At their age, time spent shaving is less time napping in the recliner with the tv blasting. Got to think of priorities. :D

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah...i just found it funny. Not really all that sad. I was happy that what i recall that his razor was a Dubl.....he confirmed it. Really made me happy we have the same blade manufacturer. Ill always think of him when i shave with it.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Hes actually quite active. His in his late 70's and doesnt look past his 60's. Hes part Indian. Very crafty. Hes one of those guys that can make or fix just about anything. He was a Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer for many years, retiring about 4 years ago. Very Very active.

Had 3 Quarter Horses and 2 Appolosa (spelling) that he had to sell. He use to shoe the horses himself. I was quite ashamed that one day...i was helping him..bending over and so forth...and wore me out with one of the horses legs....and hes in his 70's doing two different horses shoeings without any problems.

6. Will

Will Nevermind

In his 70's and you are trying to give him a straight.

How much are you in the Will for? :rofl

See you on Forensic Files.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

ROFL.. He knows what he is capable of :p

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Always good to see someone active. Hope I can do the same. Holding a horse's leg up is no picnic. Killer on the lower back and quads. Good for him. Showed you didn't he. :D

I'm going to get into real trouble for this. :D
    Appaloosa = Spam
    Warm Blood = Dumb Blood
    Thoroughbred = Terror Bred
    Arab = Dessert Donkey
    Quarter Horses = Do it all :rofl

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

He has a point.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

my friends, if my Dad who's 86 can get back into wetshaving, and with a Merkur Vision or Progess, and an Omega Silvertip like mine and some nice soaps and creams, then ANYBODY can! Dad got back into this great old art about 3 years ago, after 45 years of (gulp) electric shaving.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I feel you bro, this is what my Dad uses, no joke:

[​IMG]

(Sorry Doc, I had to do it :D)

The good news is that he uses Old Spice aftershave splash (the Pure Sport variety :rofl ) ::

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Dude, ya know I have to edit that pic.

Crime scene photos don't go in General.

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Put it in the Dirty Jokes section! :rolleyes:

14. Will

Will Nevermind

A Horror like that dosen't even belong on Rotten.com

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Just ::ban::ban::banme now and get it over with :happy001

16. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

My Dad uses an...........shudder.......Norelco ELECTRIC.:(
    Of course he's 93 and can do what he wants. :D

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

@Steve, your Dad is ok. He didn't get to be 93 for nothing, so let him be well, and God bless him! ;)

@Joe, Buddy, your Dad is still a wetshaver, and if that's what he likes to use, hey, it's all good! :D

18. William

William New Member

Well if it's any consolation my dad uses an electric razor too! He is completely shameless about it even though it hardly touches him and is left with a sheet of sandpaper on his chin. I have tried to convert him but I may as well nail my head to the table for the amount of notice he takes of me. He just laughs and simply whips out the Braun whilst he is sitting in bed. He of course old and I just leave it there .:D

19. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

You are a lucky guy. I sure wish I had my grandpa around to talk about shaving. your story kinda choked me up....

20. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Issac, when you get back, you can also shave with that Duck now that it has an edge...you'll like it!!! Glad you were able to reminisce with him about using a straight. I never had my grandpa around to talk with about it, but I do have his old Torrey straight razor.

My dad has a beard, and my father-in-law uses an electric. I gave up trying a long time ago! Since I have no son, I gotta work on the nephews!! :D Train them up right!!