Safety razor. a difficult switch

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by birba2018, Apr 26, 2019.

1. birba2018

birba2018 Guest

Good morning. 53 y.o from italy thick and coarse "iron" beard (i could gett bbs WTG and ATG only with 5 and more multiblade razors - shaved for years with gillette than gave them the middle finger thanks to their anti-masculinity ad - see other topic). after switching to everything but gillette i also began exploring DEs. I tried an EJ89 and while managing not to nick and cut myself (i have been applying wet shaving techniques for years even with my carts)i also didn't get a great shave , with patches remaining here and there unless i used multiple passes - and by doing so i nullified the advantage of having a single blade touching my face ---> irritation. I then tried a 34 and 37 and while the latter was just a bit better the shave was still unsatisfactory. And it takes a lifetime and i don't have the luxury of having 30 minutes a day for shaving. So up to now i have 2 alternatives.
    1) Sticking with carts:
    2) stubbornly insist with DE but find a solution to the aforementioned issues. I have a 26 euro gift on my amazon accunt and i thought i could test a 26c from parker here in italy on ilrasoio.com they said it's a great razor and very efficient while being still a bit mild to avoid nicks and cuts.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Howdy,

So irritation is the main problem? In my experience, irritation usually results from (a) improper angle, (b) too much pressure, or both. A wrong angle ends up using the blade edge inefficiently -- it scrapes the skin rather than cleanly shaving it. Each DE razor can require different "angles of attack" from others so it's just a matter of practice and knowing how to best use each and any DE razor. Too much pressure...well, that's obvious.

Different types of soaps or creams can also be a factor, as well as prep, or a razor that's too aggressive for your skin type or skill level. But my money is on the angle and/or pressure. Solve those and you'll solve your shaves. Hope this helps.

PS

I've been wetshaving about 10 years now, starting from knowing nothing about it. I now can be clean and comfortably DE shaved in 2 minutes flat, if I need to be. My usual is between 3-4 minutes...again, this just a matter of practice. 30 minutes per day for a shave is fine if one has the time and the interest for it, I just don't.

3. birba2018

birba2018 Guest

thanks. but then which DE razor you suggest? the 26c or ej89 (the budget is about 30 euros max)

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Word up, my brother.
    (Translation, great advice, I agree.)

PatrickA51, Herm2502, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @birba2018
    Switching razors is not going to change a thing, sorry. You are applying a "cart" technique, which means "press hard" when you need to focus on the far different angle and MUCH lighter pressure with the DE razor. There is NO magic razor that will fix your technique...only you can do that.

6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well said, good sir. Pretty much any DE razor will give excellent results, provided one has a bit of patience to learn that particular tool.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Like B1hart suggested, if you can find a good old common Tech, you can't go wrong. But pretty much any will do -- you just need to develop what we affectionately call technique (prep, angle, pressure, etc). Most of us agree that razor and blade choices are secondary behind technique. You could have this nailed down within a week.

9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

If it were me, knowing what I have experienced (just started wet shaving in early January 2019) and from following the 30DC thread, spend the $ on some cool or well reviewed SC or SS.

If it's gotta be a razor purchase, a Feather Popular is rated on Amazon US to be very mild. Many reviews compare it to the Feather AS-D2. Have thought about the Feather AS-D2. But, it's spendy, and I already have some mild razors (several Gillettes).

10. birba2018

birba2018 Guest

I forgot : no vintage and especially no gillette. Sorry :)

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The suggestions above correct. Improvement to your technique should solve your problems. After all, the razor is merely the vehicle to deliver the blade to your face. That being said, I'll make a different suggestion for a new razor. I absolutely love the Parker Variant and the Merkur Progress (almost identical head design). These are adjustable and give me a BBS effortlessly. I struggle with very mild razors like a Tech. The adjustable nature of these razors will let you find your 'sweet spot' for your thick beard

Herm

Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

sorry for your dislike of gillette,i agree... i use vintage gillettes from the 1930s -50s and get fantastic shaves from them..i like the vintage razors, not todays marketing hacks..many variations of good solid shavers in this era..worth a try if you get passed the b.s..used gillette carts for 30+ years as well before switching to de..

Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Irritation could also be from bad lather.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  14. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Pressure and angle, pressure and angle.

Leclec13, brit and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

how are you liking the cooper razor, ?worth looking for one,?

16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Op, I recommend an Italian DE razor for your coarse beard, the Fatip Piccolo. Two passes with the grain with light to no pressure. Then clean up pass if needed. $20 razor that’s great for tough beards. I used mine today with the usual great results.

brit and MR41 like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Get the EJ

brit likes this.
  18. birba2018

birba2018 New Member

Anyway i think i will get the parker 26c. I will keep you updated.

MR41 and brit like this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I voted EJ of the choices you gave, but I strongly suggest you try a Maggard’s V3 or V3A head on one of their handles. The money is the same. The Parker head geometries are based on vintage Gillette heads.

Enrico and brit like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Haven't used one of those myself, but the reviews suggest it's on the aggressive/efficient side. Looks much like a Fatip top end and those are good razors. Be careful of applying pressure in a cartridge shaving style. If you have issues getting nicked or irritation and razor burn, visit with the Crew in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Lots of coaches and cheerleaders available to share information about getting the best results from what ever gear you choose.

Enrico and brit like this.