Salutations from a guy with 15 years of electric shaver experience

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Smott, May 7, 2012.

1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Hi all,

I watched a Dollar Shave Club video and thought to myself, "Hey Steve, maybe you should think about wet shaving. There's got to be a reason why people are still doing that!" I found an article that claimed Dollar Shave Club's blades were supplied by Dorco, so I went to Dorco's site with the intent to purchase a razor/blades package from them. Fortunately, they were out of stock...

While I waited for them to restock their inventory, I started doing some research on wet shaving and here I am. I'm now convinced that I need to pick up a DE and do this right.

Trouble is, I have ZERO experience with wet shaving. I have been shaving with an electric shaver since the beginning and have never tried anything else. I've only seen my dad with an electric shaver. So I will be starting from the "Start" space on this board game. I am appreciative of everyone's kindness and generosity in sharing and teaching each other and look forward to meeting everyone. I've been reading all of the great resources and watching videos. I wish there were a local shave shop around so I could sample a few of the offerings and find the scents and things that seem to bring so much enjoyment to everyone. Much to learn, I have! ;) And I'm ok with that, so long as I'm in such good company.

wlmcad, macaronus and KLF like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Welcome you are! Strong is the shaving force at the TSD. Steer you right we will..:yoda2

wlmcad likes this.
  3. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Hello Steve!

A warm welcome to the Den. No worries, we all started basically from scratch at some point in time of our wet shaving adventure. The learning part is a lot of fun, the discovering part even more so. With that I mean all the razors, blades, shave soaps and creams, pre- and after-shaves and so on which you won't all need but testing them and finding what's right for you might be highly addictive enjoyable..

You will find a lot of information on a very decent starter ste-up of hard- and software (as we call it) in the variosu sections of the Forum. And if not, just ask. You will get an answer, that's for sure.

Have fun browsing around and, when the time comes, enjoy the shaves.

wlmcad likes this.
  4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

:signs046: to he Den!!! It's by far the friendlier then the rest!!!

5. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Welcome Steve to the world of wet-shaving and TSD ! I also watched the same video of Dollar Shave Club and start a little research who brought me here. Enjoy your stay !

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Steve
    If there is to much info to manage , a good concise intro to wetshaving is" Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving" by Michael Ham. From what you wrote its guranteed you're going to enjoy wetshaving. :)

macaronus and KLF like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi from another Steve! Welcome to the Den.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Steve! :signs046:

11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Steve, :signs046: and hello.

12. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

:signs046: Welcome to the Den, Steve! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving!

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD! Not having to unlearn some bad habits from cartridge shaving, I actually think you'll have an advantage.

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den:)

15. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Hi Steve and welcome to The Shave Den! I hope you enjoy your stay.

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome, Steve!

17. Smott

@Slipperyjoe: Help me, Slipperyjoe (Kenobi). You're my only hope. hehe

@Smoothy: That's what I'm worried about—I'll be looking for one thing, and find something else I'll like along the way. ;) PM sent regarding your den.

@Zilla: Thank you, very kind indeed.

@KLF: Ha, so I wasn't the only one. I suppose Dollar Shave Club would have preferred I respond by perusing their wares, but they served more as a PSA that shaving may be more than my Norelco.

@Hanzo: Thank you for the welcome and the book recommendation. I'll check it out.

@IAmTheJody: Thank you, good to be here!

@GDCarrington: I'm glad I found the Den. I hope to stay a while. I read your welcome post just now, and, lo, it made me smile.

@swarden43: Steve, eh? I like you already!

@Queen of Blades: Thank you for the warm welcome.

@fishcrow: Thank you, how do you do?

@Shawna: Delighted to make your acquaintance.

@ChemErik: Glad to hear that my ignorance is a good thing in this case. If that were only true for everything, I'd be the best of the best! haha

@alpla444: Pleased to meet you.

@tomnat: Much obliged!

@crackstar: Thank you. I "pity the fool" who still shaves with a multi-blade razor! hehe

Queen of Blades and Slipperyjoe like this.
  18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Steve! :signs046: to The Den!
    No worries about learning to wet shave. We've all been there. Just take it easy, you'll get there. With video's (try mantic59 on youtube!) and forums (like this one!) you'll find information enough to get you started. And do you have any questions? Just ask away, we're all glad to be able to help. :)

Shave and enjoy!

19. Smott

@macaronus: Thank you for the kind reassurance. I intend to start very slowly and will likely ask questions along the way now that my confidence has increased by everyone's friendly words.

Based on my initial research, I'm looking at picking up an EJ DE89BA11 and a blade sampler pack. My wife, when she heard how interested I was in wet shaving, bought me a tub of maca root shaving cream from The Bodyshop along with one of their synthetic brushes. I have heard that these are decent, so I feel like those should work for starters. I was also considering a simple brush and razor stand, a blade bank, and some Speick AS lotion. Any objections?

I also ran through a lathering trial run (haha, I don't even have a razor yet!) and it looked good, but I have nothing to compare it with, so here's hoping. Anyone care to take a moment and explain the pros and cons of face lathering and bowl lathering? Sorry! I am sure you've discussed that sort of thing ad nauseum!

wlmcad and Smoothy like this.
  20. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Face lathering vs bowl lathering is pretty much just a personal preference. Some folks like to use a bowl to whip up a lather, while others take the brush to their face, while a few others may even lather up in their hand. It just depends how you feel. If you use a shave stick, like many do, you will have to face lather. One other contributing factor that I use is time. If I'm in a hurry I will skip the bowl and go straight to my face.

macaronus likes this.