Sam Adams- Imperial Pilsner

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Capt America, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

Hey- I just tried some of this out over the weekend and it is pretty darn good. IPA fans (Ed, Joe....) might like this one, as it is VERY hoppy. It reminds me of a double IPA. I believe I read on the box it said they used 12 pounds of Hallertau hops per barrel.

Give it a try if you come across it...

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll have to look for it when I do a Bevmo run. Need to pick up some Holiday wines.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Um.
    Yeah....
    I saw it last week at BevMo; believe it was $10 for a 4 pack
    I'll be $#&&%%$#@@!&(** if I spend that much for ANY sam Adams product

:D
    specially when I can get the Old Rasputin for $7 a 4 pack.

4. Capt America

Capt America Member

Yea, it's expensive... but as someone who isn't an everyday drinker, I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium beer. Plus, at 8.8% alcohol, it gets you drunk quick.

BTW- I'd rather drink ram urine than drink Old Rasputin again.

If you're unwilling to pay $10 for a 4 pack, you're missing out.

Now excuse me while I go open an Ayingers Celebrator.

5. rick

OK.
    You got my interest.
    Ill be buying some soon :o What can I tell ya? I M Week

.................never tried "ram urine"
    Which brewery bottles that one ? ;)

6. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

You'll love it; BTW- it's the Official brew of the New England Patriots :D:D

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Scuz'a Missa? I needa thumb breaka on dis thread. :D

8. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I think I misquoted; the Sams is the Pats brew, I think the Ram urine comes from the "Iron City" :D

9. Capt America

Capt America Member

Ram urine is actually a German secret. They drink ram urine to train for beer-chugging contests.

Apparently, if you can chug ram urine, you can chug just about anything. This even includes Mexican beers. :eek:

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Its pretty good.

Little sweet like Sierra Nevada, but Hoppy, hop.

11. rick

OH NO You Di'int !!

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I'm not one to turn down a Sam Adams :D

Will check it out, thanks for the tip Kevin :happy088

13. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I saw it in the store a few weeks ago. The box was actually what caught my eye. For some reason, good catchy box/displays seem to catch your eye more if you are in the printing/packaging business...

Anyways, it is a decent beer. Strangely enough, although it claimed to be a hop explosion...it really wasn't. It reminded me a lot of some other high gravity pilsner or pale ales I've tried. For some reason I just can't get into them. They have a very sharp unrefined aftertaste since there is so much alcohol in them. It is definately a sipper! If you can't get ahold of this one, go for a Flying Dog Double Pale Ale. To me, similar taste, but unfortunatley not as hoppy.

Is it weird that I always end up checking back in on the board when there is a beer discussion going on?

14. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Bought my yesterday. I normally buy the Anchor Christmas offering but I was late this year and it was gone. Thanks for the tip. I am looking forward to it this afternoon.

15. Capt America

Capt America Member

Ed- I'm wondering if you got a bad batch... as I thought the line "an explosion of hops" was relatively fitting.

16. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Thats possible. I'm thinking of giving it another go.