Sam Seong/CJB

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DDuckyMark, Apr 6, 2016.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's cool. We all do a pretty good job of enabling each other. It's just who we are!

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

You're the reason I have MWF and Tabac and the Veg in my den I guess this is payback? Even the overpriced seller on eBay has them for less than $40 shipped. You can almost get 2 for the price of a Feather SS and nearly 5 for the price of the Feather DX.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  3. DDuckyMark

I just saw that Kai makes something like the Feather Super pro. The Captain Sharp blade. They also have 2 grades of blade holders.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well said, well said. Of course, now that you mentioned the DX I want one of those too. Sheesh!

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I haven't tried the Kai Sharp but I have looked into their holders. I would like to add those as well. I like the sticks enough to have a collection. I've actually given some thought to making the Feather SS my everyday shave. Maybe I'll switch more to the AC razors once I get through all of the other blades and experiments on my list. The list is getting shorter, though, so probably time to decide on a few things.

6. DDuckyMark

The Kai sharp seem like they could be good. I tend to like the Kai blades better since to my face they seem smoother and less harsh. A seller on eBay has them for $21 a 20 pack. The Feather DX and both Kai holders are out of my budget but I may be able to swing a Feather SS in Lime. Maybe one of those razors @Darkbulb and @PLANofMAN got. The one that takes nearly every blade.

PLANofMAN and NCoxSTL like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Rumor has it a Den member in Korea can buy them for you cheaper than EBay. Probably the same guy that provided the Dorko blades.

Drygulch, gssixgun and NCoxSTL like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh yeah, I know that guy.

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have been wanting to at least try one of these out

Which would you suggest

I have used the Feathers before, I liked the Folding DX I re-scaled, but would rather try one like those two more "Kamisori-ish" hehehe

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Well heck that post was a "little late" dang it

11. DDuckyMark

The two I have shave about the same. The difference is mostly in size and weight. Do you tend to like narrower razors like a 5/8 or wider blades like a 6/8 or 7/8. Being a thin blade it feels like a full or 1/4 hollow.

The CJB has better fit and finish but is smaller and lighter.

The Sam Seong is slightly rougher in finish but has a bit more weight a tad more size and the handle is easier to grip because of the softer rubber.

I'm sure that the Feather or Kai kamisori style holders are way better but I can't afford those. The Feather SS is the least expensive of those at about $60 and the Higher tier Kai is the most expensive at over $250. Both of these razors are avalible on eBay for about $35 and like its been mentioned, anyone in Korea can get them much cheaper.

NCoxSTL and gssixgun like this.
  12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the info :) much appreciated

NCoxSTL likes this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The Feather AC SS is the smallest of the three I have seen. (I haven't seen one of the Kai ones.) I have used the CJB and the Feather. The Feather was slimmer and had a nicer feel. The CJB worked almost as well, and had a great spot to place your thumb, almost like jimps, for good control. Cost wise, it was less than a third of the feather.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Keithmax

I prefer the Feather DX then the CJB. I did not like the Feather SS, it has a lip that is supposed to make the razor milder. It did it work for me. The DX and CJB shave kind of like a wedge. The DX is definitely built better than the CJB, the spring in the CJB will eventually break but it is allot cheaper. The CJB is a good alternative to the DX.

NCoxSTL, gssixgun and Robyflexx like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The higher tier Kai is on my list, but not for awhile. I will say, having used the CJB and Feather SS, that the shave from them is very similar. It's a different feel on the handle because of the shape difference, but the performance is really nearly identical. Now the quality of the construction (as evidenced by my broken spring) of the CJB may lag behind the Feather, but I love shaving with both. I am going to have to try the Sam Seong if you like it.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes, the lip on the SS makes it a bit different to use from the CJB, this is true. Angle is a bit different. Not sure how much milder it really makes it to be honest. Maybe a bit, but I have still drawn blood with it just as easily as the CJB!

17. Keithmax

I actually have drawn more blood with Feather SS, for some reason it is the hardest shavette for me to use.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I may be comparing a bit unfairly. The CJB was the one I learned on, as you know, so the number of incidents on that one was higher, mostly because of the lack of technique.

19. Keithmax

Maybe that is why I had more cuts with the SS, I tried it first.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well only one way to compare them then. A CJB in one hand, Feather SS in the other and shave both sides together. What's the worst that could happen? :signs002:

Drygulch likes this.