Sanitizing Vintage DE Gillette I1 Slim Ajustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lepidgeon, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Lepidgeon

Lepidgeon New Member

Hi guys, I know there are multiple threads on here for my upcoming question, but I am paranoid about sanitizing my used razor.

I bought it off ebay, didn't look too dirty, but here is what I did so far:
    The ajusting wheel was completely stuck, so I put water to boil, turned off the heat, and dropped it in with Dawn.

After that, I scrubbed it with dawn dish soap

Soaked it in scrubbing bubbles, and scrubbed with a toothbrush again.

Then I soaked it in 70% alcohol for 10 minutes,and put it to dry.

I should be good right?

Thanks!!

Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. HUF

HUF Active Member

Viruses cannot survive on a metal razor for more than a few days. The cleaning you have done most likely killed all bacteria. Enjoy and do not worry.

3. Lepidgeon

Lepidgeon New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Cheers

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I now use the dishwasher with no problems.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Somewhere between the first Dawn soak, after the gentle metal polish, but before the final disinfectant scrub - several drops of mineral oil (also known as unscented baby oil) into the moving parts. Seems to make sticky adjusters move smoother.

6. Lepidgeon

Lepidgeon New Member

Yeah, i put clipper oil in all the crevaces! Thanks !

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For me, Scrubbing Bubbles is enough.

8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Scrubbing Bubbles (Dow Bathroom Cleaner) will kill most anything. If I am lending/selling/giving a razor to someone else, I use a diluted mixture of Hydrocide for about 30 minutes. Barbers and hair salons use hydrocide or barbacide for combs, scissors and straights. So, it will work the same for DE razors.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I just do scrubbing bubbles. Plus we're shaving with soap. Am I right? Not like I'm shaving with a dull bloody carpet knife last used by Charlie sheen.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I would want to know how the knife was used for starters. Scrubbing Bubbles might just do it.

Trust, but verify

Carbide Mike, RyX and youngunn like this.
  11. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I don't see any mentions of Barbicide. Has that fallen out of favour? I rotate razors weekly and always include an overnight in Barbicide. Also use it on any newly acquired razor after the initial clean-up.

12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I just soak mine in rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes. You should be fine as far as killing any viruses and bacteria.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just hot water/soap soak it several cycles, until all things loosen up, and all crud is gone. Then a little mineral oil. Finished and sanitized.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

The only problem that I've heard of bathroom cleaners (Dow, Zep, etc.) is that if your razor has been refinished with GunKote or other enamel or epoxy coatings, then you need to be careful. I was warned about that from one of the guys refinishes razors with GunKote that Scrubbing Bubbles is pretty hard on finishes. I've never had any issues on nickel or chrome plated razors (I mean the stuff works great on bathroom fixtures), but he felt that you shouldn't use Dow Bathroom Cleaner on his refinished razors. So, I don't use it on stuff like that and all of the other advice about cleaning and killing germs will work just fine. I mean these razors have already held up to much more abuse. Wish I could say that about my car.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yup. Works every time unless there is mechanical damage.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

With an antique store vintage Gillette I usually soak it in hot water with dish soap, then a mild scrub with a soft toothbrush to remove cooties and other visible debris, then polish. Usually before I use it for the first time I clean with Isopropyl alcohol...just to satisfy myself that it is appropriately sanitized. Viruses don't live long on metal surfaces. But as others have said, general cleaning and a quick wipe with alcohol if sufficient. You are more likely to cut yourself with the razor blade and not the razor itself.

My weekly razor cleaning involves Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. I generally give myself a good cleaning once a week as well...whether I need it or not. ;)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Hot water, about 170 degrees and dawn dish soap. I use a small ultrasonic cleaner to help the process but once the crud is gone you should be good to go.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Raw brass is supposedly antimicrobial, as is silver. Never heard if gold and nickel are.

19. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Yeah, you should be good. Your razor now is cleaner than the dishes, pots and pans, and silverware in most restaurants. Think about that the next time you are eating out.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    dangermouse and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Speaking of boiling the Slim, does it ruin the painted numbers? I read that boiling some razors can remove paint like on the Red Tip. Should one only dunk the head in boiling water instead of dropping the entire razor in there?

I also read that boiling "on the stove" can damage a razor. How else would one boil water in a reasonable manner? If the person who stated this meant that the razor making direct contact with the surface of the metal pot is dangerous, then I suppose that can be easily avoided by just tying some yarn around the razor and suspending it above the base of the pot so that it doesn't actually touch anything apart from the boiling water.